Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Fairluvwar   Reptile Sheba :P  
 Member  Message

Fairluvwar
View Profile

Mites in My Mealworms!!!

We just recently had to throw away about 2000 mealworms and some beetles because I opened the container one day and saw what I thought was dust were actually thousands of little bugs crawling around. I tried to look it up and I found something called grain mites. We had 2 containers, one with beetles and several hundred new eggs and another with about 1000 mealworms between 2 and 5 weeks old. We threw them both out. I soaked both containers in the tub with javex and thoroughly rinsed and dried them. But 2 times now I have seen another mite or two crawling around in one of the bins. What do I do? I bought more mealworms at the pet store and put them in the container before I saw the mite so I wasnít sure if it was contaminated still or from the new worms. So I dumped those out and cleaned the container again. The 2nd container I stuck in the freezer because I read somewhere doing that for a week will kill the mites, but today I saw another mite crawling around in the container I didnít freeze. Am I just not cleaning it enough???

07/07/05  06:17pm

Reptile Sheba :P
View Profile

Message To: Fairluvwar   In reference to Message Id: 393949

Mites in My Mealworms!!!

heres a clue first wht kind of container second if it can be trown away without it being a major expense throw it away the moment u do tht take the trash out

07/08/05  06:57pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area