Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Jsean1991   House   Packer43064  
 Member  Message

Jsean1991
View Profile

New to breeding meal worms help!!!

ok i need to know how to breed mealworms and wat should i put them in and how many eggs can 1 mealworm produce?? and how long duz it take for them to lay their eggs and how long duz it take them to hatch thnx

06/22/05  09:24pm

House
View Profile

Message To: Jsean1991   In reference to Message Id: 379280

I have found it easier to just buy them at the store. they a fairly inexpensive and you can buy them 500 at a time a reptilefood.com.

06/26/05  03:30pm

Packer43064
View Profile

Message To: Jsean1991   In reference to Message Id: 379280

Well get some kind of container, like one of them rubbermaid ones.

Put Cherrios and Rice Krispies as the substrate they will eat this. also toss in some baby carrots as a water source.

Well the mealworms donít lay eggs in that form, they will first change into beetles. This can take usually up to 2-4 weeks for most of the mealworms to change maybe longer if the temps. are low.

And then after a few days they will breed, just leave the beetles in the mealworm bin they will do everything in there.

Not sure about how many eggs a beetle can produce.

But they will lay eggs, and in about 2-4 weeks or maybe more the eggs will hatch and you will have tons of baby mealworms. They will be extremely small unless you look very closely at the substrate on the bottom.

Also mine havenít totally made it to the full size a mealworm can get. They range from less that a quarter of an inch to half an inch.

06/29/05  12:42am

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area