Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MandibleHead   Cphill58   Tjwelch   Cphill58  

Member  Message

MandibleHead
View Profile

Mealy troubles

how do you keep mealys alive? myn never last more then about a week, and is it worth it tnbuy fluckers bricket food?

05/14/12  10:18am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: MandibleHead   In reference to Message Id: 2266342

Mealy troubles

We use a piece of potato or a piece of apple changed out every few days so it doesn’t get rotten...they also like lettuce and other greens

We use about 3-4" of regular oatmeal (Quaker) or economy brand in a Tupperware shoe box ...they eat the oatmeal too. The above items are for moisture....

05/18/12  11:35pm

Tjwelch
View Profile

Message To: MandibleHead   In reference to Message Id: 2266342

Mealy troubles

Meal worms are similar to super worms. They like to stay down under a bedding. I’m sticking straight with super worms at this time but the upkeep is similar. Wheat Bran is the best bedding, I also grind some wheat oats and add it to the wheat bran. Problem is I only found wheat bran in a 50 lbs bag. Grinding oats I believe is the key for inexpensive mealworm keping. Grind it half way so there is some very fine substraight along with perhaps half size oats. A blender does this with amazing speed. It’s always important to keep in mind how much water your putting in to the substraight when you add your things for moisture. Apples haven’t worked well for me with superworms and I’ve read the same with meal worms. These worms like to pull their food under the substraight to eat. I would try slices of a potatoe, I’ve had very good luck with this and I kind of half bury the slices and let the worms do the rest. The thickness is what you need to watch if you only have like 100 meal worms in a box. My bins have over 1000 super worms at different sizes so I cut some very thick slices and spread out thinner slices over the surface so there not trying to eat each other for moisture. So far so good.. Hope this helped

11/03/12  08:47pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Tjwelch   In reference to Message Id: 2284543

Mealy troubles

That’s great info TJ ...I just order 1,000 per , and keep them alive for a few months as I steadily feed off. i only order supers but the same things apply to mealies.

I have used potato mostly but I do use apple and sometimes carrots and the bearded dragons leftover greens...I raise roaches now and have 2 tubs swarming...wish I had as much success with worms. I never gave it my all out effort. Some of my online friends do real good at it once they get eggs and beetles and the cycle started.

11/03/12  11:25pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area