Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Sc@les   Reptilelover07  
 Member  Message

Sc@les
View Profile

How to raise mealworms

I got meal worms. How can I tell if they’re male/female? What do I feed them?They dig in uncooked oatmeal,help.

10/11/11  03:37pm

Reptilelover07
View Profile

Message To: Sc@les   In reference to Message Id: 2240045

How to raise mealworms

I don’t think there is any possible way to tell if they are male or female with the human eye. Feed them apple slices(they love that), carrots, potatoes, lettuce, banana peels etc. the substrate can be old fashioned oats, quick oats, wheat bran, chicken mash, oat bran, wheat germ, baby cereal, grits etc. I use wheat bran(it is easy to go through a sifter). Once you get pupa take them out of the container and put all the pupae in a n empty container together. They do not eat or drink so you don’t need to put anything in there with them. When they turn into a beetle put them in a container with substrate like the mealworms and a source of moisture(the beetles also love apples). Also add in some egg crates and paper towel rolls for them to crawl on. Every 2-3 weeks take the beetles out ut of the container and leave the substrate. That contains the baby mealworms. Just transport your beetles to another container with the same thing they had before. They will keep mating and laying eggs. You may also want to put the egg cartons and/or toilet paper rolls in with the babies because sometimes the beetles will lay eggs on them. Add a source of moisture in with the babie mealworms and continue the cycle. You might also want to split the mealworms you have now into two groups so you will have some just for feeding to your pets.

11/01/11  01:23pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area