Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Meejee   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

Meejee
View Profile

How I Gut-Load Superworms

HI its Bella. this is how i gutload Superworms for a Leopard Gecko and Collared Lizard.

I have them in a Small Kritter Kepper. I have no Bedding Unfourtunatly. this is food i have given them: Lettuce, Black Berries, Sweet Potato, Basil, Spinach, Agrugla, and Strawberries. Also why is one of my worms White? I found its old skin, now it is Albino i think. Tell me if i am missing anything(other then bedding)

08/04/11  03:33pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Meejee   In reference to Message Id: 2231761

How I Gut-Load Superworms

Berries get moldy pretty easily. Lettuce provides water, but nothing much else, so it distracts the worms from eating better things.
For collared lizards: offer the worms just enough vegie that they HAVE to eat it to hydrate. If you give them a kale leaf or collard green leaf, it should look like swiss chese by the time it dries out.
Zuchini and sweet potato aren’t quite as good a gut-load as kale or collards, but if you’re going to be gone too long to replace the leaf that’s in there, then a thin slice of yam or zuch is the way to go.
I don’t know leopard geckos that well. A girl I know who has one says that they’re SUPPOSED to ezt a little bit of fruit, although hers won’t. That’s not uncommon. Many collared lizards eat vegetables quite readily. Many don’t. Since zuchini is a fruit with less cellulose in it than the others vegies mentioned here, it might be your best go-to moisture source. Still within the "good" list as a collared lizard. And, possibly, the only thing on that list that would be of digestive use to a leopard gecko.

08/06/11  03:30am

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area