Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Meejee   JackAsp   Meejee   Meejee  
 Member  Message

Meejee
View Profile

Super Worms/ Gut Loading

hi i have a small critter keeper, for my super worms becuase my petshop only sells mealworms in containers. superworms come in bags. I have them in there. the first food i used is lettuce and turkey. I heard meat is good for them. but is it?? what is the best food to give them? plz help

08/03/11  08:55am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Meejee   In reference to Message Id: 2231565

Super Worms/ Gut Loading

What are you feeding?
I would ditch the turkey, because it’s prone to rot while they eat it and they can end up spreading harmful bacteria to the animal... plus, a superworm is meat anyway. Something like dry turtle or fish pellets is probably ideal to keep them in.
If it’s a strict carnivore that you’re feeding, then I doubt it much matters what vegetable you use as the water source. But if it’s an omnivore (or something that’s SUPPOSED to be an omnivore but wants to argue with you about it, as is common for many lizards and turtles) then your best water sources are the same vegies that you’d feed to a vegetarian such as an iguana.Kale, collared greens, yams, zuchini, anything like that with a really high calcium to phosphorus ratio. The three most common vegetable gutloads (apple, carrot, and potato) are not on the list of good vegetables.
I usually leave superworms in their original bran, figuring that the lizards will just poop any half-digested bran out as roughage anyway, and give them zuchini or yam slices as their water source. I keep my mealworms the same way. I don’t refrigerate mealworms, because it’s easier to stuff them with vegetables when they’re warm and hungry. This means that mealworms often pupate, and when they do, I toss the pupae in with the crickets or superworms as a protein supplement.

08/04/11  04:44am

Meejee
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2231699

Super Worms/ Gut Loading

ok thanks you. i have turtle pellets, so thats a saver! i am feeding a Collared Lizard.

08/04/11  07:38am

Meejee
View Profile

Message To: Meejee   In reference to Message Id: 2231707

Super Worms/ Gut Loading

i am making a new thread about my new gut loading

08/04/11  03:29pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area