Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Lex123   Cold Blooded Kisser   Lex123   Superwormbreeder  
 Member  Message

View Profile

The Whole Cycle?

How long does the whole cycle, beginning to end, of breeding mealworms take? How long do the beetles live? Thanks!

08/15/09  02:53pm

Cold Blooded Kisser
View Profile

Message To: Lex123   In reference to Message Id: 2057617

The Whole Cycle?

Hi Lex123,

I would say depending on the temperature in your area it could take anywhere from 2-3 months. Let me try to break it down for you...........

It took about 2-3 weeks for the meal worms I bought to become larvae.

It takes about 1-2 weeks for the larvae to become a beetle.

It took about 3-4 weeks before I was able to see the baby mealies, they’re so tiny.

It takes about a month before the mealies are big enough to be fed to my leos.

I have been breeding mealies for about 6 months and I have only had maybe 5 beetles die. I have a colony of I would say 150 beetles. I have had so much meal worms from this colony that I stopped letting them go to larvae and have had to separate some mealies, storing them in the fridge. That’s with having a lot of reptile mouths to feed (6 leos).

Hope this info helped you.

08/20/09  09:13am

View Profile

Message To: Cold Blooded Kisser   In reference to Message Id: 2060795

The Whole Cycle?

So, about how many baby mealworms should I get from 10 female beetles? Do they turn to larvae faster if they are kept at higher temperature? Can I just feed squash to the mealworms?

08/21/09  03:03pm

View Profile

Message To: Lex123   In reference to Message Id: 2061580

The Whole Cycle?

You will get hundreds. I tested with one beetle alone on how many mealies she would have, and she had at the least, 50-80

So you can multiply that by ten!

Squash is good for mealies. I believe they seem to like it, and there are no casualties from feeding them this.

I believe they do turn into pupae quicker if they are kept at higher temperature. But be sure not to go too high over 70 degrees or they can die.

08/30/09  06:01pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area