Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Sitting_duck   Sitting_duck   Slove1106   Sitting_duck   Slove1106   Sitting_duck   Zebraflavencs  
 Member  Message

Sitting_duck
View Profile

The mealworms from the store...

okay I’ve never bought them before but i will soon once i get a leopard gecko.

So when you buy them in big groups, the ones that are refrigerated, do you have to feed them while they’re in the refrigerater? Or is there already food in there?

10/25/08  06:28pm

Sitting_duck
View Profile

Message To: Sitting_duck   In reference to Message Id: 1887563

oh yes, and can mealworms be a staple diet for leopard geckos? And how do you put calcium dust on them?

10/25/08  06:30pm

Slove1106
View Profile

Message To: Sitting_duck   In reference to Message Id: 1887565

No, you don’t have to feed when you put them in the fridge. But yes, there is already food in there, which they won’t really eat. (They usually sell them with bran bedding)

Yes, they can be staples, but throw in a variety of things once in a while just to make em happy. :)

You can put a pinch of calcium dust in the bowl with them and lightly swirl it around to get them coated a little. Try not to overcoat as that can cause them to suffocate and die faster. I try to barely get some on them, and when my Leos go to eat, they end up licking some off the bowl anyway.

10/29/08  03:45pm

Sitting_duck
View Profile

Message To: Slove1106   In reference to Message Id: 1889825

Thanks for the response, been waiting a while =-).

If they won’t "really eat" the food already in there, should I throw in a carrot or something?

10/29/08  05:56pm

Slove1106
View Profile

Message To: Sitting_duck   In reference to Message Id: 1889897

You’re welcome... :)

It’s not that they won’t eat it because they don’t like it, it’s because in the fridge they’re sort of in a hibernation stage. They’ll barely move. The temp slows down their system and they won’t eat... So putting any food in there won’t make a difference, it won’t get eaten. Just have a separate cup out and take a few out everyday to gutload before feeding. Make sure to gutload a day or so before feeding because in the fridge, they won’t eat... so they lose nutrients.

10/29/08  07:06pm

Sitting_duck
View Profile

Message To: Slove1106   In reference to Message Id: 1889952

okay thanks =-)

I went out today and bought a heat pad, instead of using the very bright light i was currently using.

I’m just going to use on light at all and use the heat pad.

10/29/08  07:30pm

Zebraflavencs
View Profile

Message To: Sitting_duck   In reference to Message Id: 1889982

I have been raising mealies for over 2 years now. I keep them in a 10 gal tank, in oatmeal, or bran meal.
I offer them a continuous supply of greens, finely chopped fruits and water gels.
I also powder the foods and the mealies just before feeding to the leos.
Hope this helps.
Janie.

01/01/09  12:44pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area