Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

S(aint)   S(aint)   Michiemm   Ledroc567   Slove1106  
 Member  Message

S(aint)
View Profile

First Time Breeding Mealworms In A 10g? Help Please!

This is my first post on this site so take it easy lol

I’ve been looking around these forums about breeding these things in tubs and critter cages and such, but can someone make me a detailed (I’ve never attempted to breed anything) explanation on these critters? I have two spare ten gallons, and I was hoping that I could seperate one and put a screen over the top to keep the beetles from flying out? Also, pictures of what the stages should each look like (if their alive and well) would be really helpful too. Like I said, I’ve never done this before and anything about housing, temp., food, or anything else would be very VERY helpful.

07/26/08  01:03am

S(aint)
View Profile

Message To: S(aint)   In reference to Message Id: 1809064

Whoops, it’s a bit early lol. I also have two Critter Carriers and am willing to buy other enclosures if it would be better. I’ve heard that smaller containers mean they breed more. Oh, and if it is okay to use the tank, should I put black paper on the sides so it’s darker?

07/26/08  01:18am

Michiemm
View Profile

Message To: S(aint)   In reference to Message Id: 1809074

Hey, i dont have any pics but i hope i can help out...

Mealworms have four stages... egg, Larva(worm), pupa and beatle.

Start with about 50-100 worms and stick them in your container with a couple inches of oats for substrate... From what i understand the worms will pupate without having to do anything... (unlike the superworms, which you have to seperate) Once they turn into a pupa, seperate them into another container and keep an eye on them because once they then turn into a beatle you have to stick them in another contaner.

Pupa are very vaulnerable and will get bitten/eaten by the worms/beatle. thats why you have to seperate them.

If you want to put black paper on the sides you can, they like the darkness.

If you want you can use the Larger 10 gal tank for all the worms, and the critter keepers for the beatles it might help with breeding. If the beatles have more contact with eachother they will breed more but worms need their "space".

Hope this somewhat helps, I have never breed mealworms but ihave done superworms, which are a bit tougher... i hear mealworms are really easy to breed.

08/05/08  05:01pm

Ledroc567
View Profile

Message To: Michiemm   In reference to Message Id: 1820762

I just keep a coffee can filled about 1/8 full of oat meal and leave it about a couple weeks with about 50 worms

08/13/08  03:56am

Slove1106
View Profile

Message To: Ledroc567   In reference to Message Id: 1829225

Just to show how simple it is... I once had a few mealworms left for fishing back before my Gecko days and left it outside in a VERY hot area (got 100 degrees there a lot) in the summertime. I was going fishing again and decided to see if I had mealies left from last time and I opened up the tub and there were TONS of beetles in there... Didn’t do a darn thing but left it in the original tub with original bedding with no food or moisture...

Figured now that it can’t be that hard and started a colony for my Leos... They’re pupating at the moment. We’ll see how that goes. You know how stuff happens when you don’t mean it to but as soon as you try to do it on purpose it never happens... lol.

08/13/08  11:48am

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area