Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

William kimmy   William kimmy   William kimmy   Slove1106  
 Member  Message

William kimmy
View Profile

Plz answer my question i need expert advice.. :)

okay...im starting to breed meal worms but how many meal worms should i start with?i thought 10 or 15 meal worms to start with is that okay? or do i have to get more?and is it hard to breed meal worms?
plus i need to know something ,how long does it take for them to turn to pupae and to beetles..?is it really fast?cause when i buy them i need to also feed them to my lizard but if i need to breed them then i would need more worms...and wtf,plus what if i get all the same males or females how can you tell the sex?

williamkimmy

07/19/08  12:41pm

William kimmy
View Profile

Message To: William kimmy   In reference to Message Id: 1801849

and also..how many worms should i start with to breed them?

07/19/08  08:08pm

William kimmy
View Profile

Message To: William kimmy   In reference to Message Id: 1802345

also how much are 100 mealworms?i need answers plz!

07/19/08  08:44pm

Slove1106
View Profile

Message To: William kimmy   In reference to Message Id: 1802385

This is a bit old but since no one is answering I will... 10 or 15 won’t be enough to really do anything. I’d start with at least 50-100. With that much you won’t need to worry about all females or anything either.

And 100 mealworms at Petco costs about $3.50.

Put them in a small shoebox type enclosure with air holes or a 5-10 gallon tank. Some say they don’t use a lid since the beetles don’t fly but I like to err on the safe side and would rather not have lost beetles in my house so I use a top. Put about 2 inches of bedding. I use oat meal, cricket feed and other oat/bran type stuff. Put a piece of potato for water in there... That’s about it. Wait a couple weeks to a month for them to turn into the "aliens" (pupae)... lol. Then a week or so after that they’ll be beetles.

I separate the pupae into another container so once they’re beetles I won’t have to worry about moving them. That container already has the bedding as well. I don’t put a deep bedding as when I feel there’s enough eggs in there I just dump that in with the other mealies I have and add more bedding to the pupae/beetle container and start again.

08/04/08  07:20pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area