Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Superwormbreeder   Beardiebreeder1   Tjwelch  

Member  Message

Superwormbreeder
View Profile

What Do You Feed Superworm Beetles other than Apples?

I’ve seen that my beetles really don’t like apples. they barely ever touch the apples. Either something is wrong with my beetles, or they just are tired of Apples. Is there anything else that they would like? When my beetles were superworms I would feed them watermelon. They seemed to enjoy that very very much. But Now I’m not sure if they would like it or not. Also, Is it normal for beetles to curl their legs under their body? I notice a few of them do that. Is this a sign of them being weak? Or is this just how they sleep?

Thanks Alot-Jennifer

05/20/08  04:11pm

Beardiebreeder1
View Profile

Message To: Superwormbreeder   In reference to Message Id: 1741412

Try carrots and potatoes slices its mostly for moisture so they won’t eat each other than that I use crushed dog food for the substrate for the crude protein but that’s just me though if u are feeding beardies put the stem of the kale mustard or collard greens in there to for moisture...

09/27/10  08:42pm

Tjwelch
View Profile

Message To: Superwormbreeder   In reference to Message Id: 1741412

Jen, I had luck with wattermellon while it was in season. I would put it on the top of my egg cartons that are provided to the beatles for hiding porposes but it became very moist and really increased the chance of fungus. For moisture I use romaine lettuce and now add a few thick cuts of a normal potatoe. My bedding is simple wheat bran now that I buy in a 50 lbs bag. 17 bucks for that and they eat that. With about 200 now that have been around for about 3 months it’s a pretty sure bet that they gain nutrition by eating the potatoes and romaine lettuce. I’m going to try grinding up some wheat oats to add to the bedding.

11/03/12  08:21pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area