Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Dux4all   Bunnee   BooByVu   Ameivaboy   Leoberto  
 Member  Message

Dux4all
View Profile

Reliable heat source for feeder insect growing

I have been growing crickets for about 2 years and recently started with superworms. Everything has been going well until today. My thermostat failed and raised the temperature to over 110F and everything got roasted. I lost over 60 superworm beetles and probably 1000 baby superworms, plus about 500 black crickets, and 500 brown crickets and about 1000 pinheads of both. Needless to say Im pretty sick over the whole thing.

My insulated box is 4 ft high, 8 ft long, and 2 ft deep and I used 800 Watts of heat. This was my second heat related catastrophe. I was using an expensive Ranco electronic temperature controller, which I thought would be very reliable. I suppose I will have to design a fail safe into the control system. I am just curious what types of temperature control systems some of you use. I appreciate any help that can be offered.

04/02/07  12:47am

Bunnee
View Profile

Message To: Dux4all   In reference to Message Id: 1230673

I have the tiny UTH heater on a 10 gal. It is for 5 gal. or so.

bunnee

04/23/07  06:22pm

BooByVu
View Profile

Well im no pro but i dont really think they need much heating. Its better to have heat but not needed. at 78degrees they are very well so i think just a wee bit heat will do. too much heat will cause the worms to turn dark and die...

05/07/07  01:58am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: BooByVu   In reference to Message Id: 1272800

my insects are generally kept on my snake rack with the same chance fore thermoregulation the snakes have, i use flexwatt to heat and a generic cheap rheostat

05/10/07  04:46am

Leoberto
View Profile

I am wondering if you can help me, can you tell me what Crickets and super worms need to grow them, I am planning on designing a metal box that requires little input but produces Crickets year round.

11/24/10  05:39pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area