Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Animal-lover   LeapingLeo123   Grave   LeapingLeo123   DragonPaw   LeapingLeo123   Finners   LeapingLeo123   DragonTamer   Atlfrog   CrazyTaco-   Rose lover   Acken   Emeraldman   Emeraldman   Iluvmyneol   Santaaa   Ameivaboy   Emozoe666   Ninjaninja   Anguisfan   Ryansturtle   Caton420   ReptilesrockRBNY   Salazar07   Superwormbreeder   Bearded_dragon_0   Tokay gecko  
 Member  Message

Animal-lover
View Profile

MEALWORM’S ARE DANGOROUS(READ IF YOU LOVE YOUR PET’S)

DON’T FEED MEALWORM’S TO ANY PET I JUST LOST MY PET 2 DAY’S AGO FROM MEALWORM’S SHE SWALLOWED A MEALWORM AND IT WASN’T DEAD SO IT ATE ALL OF HER STOMACH’S AND CAME OUT HER ARM DON’T LOOSE YOUR PET THE WAY I DID DON’T TAKE THAT RISK DON’T TAKE THAT CHANCE I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH REPTILE’S SINCE I WAS BETWEEN 7-10 I VOULENTEERED AT LITTLE RAY REPTILE SHOW’S AND WAS VOULENTEERING IN OTTAWA I AM KNOW OUT OF THAT BUT I HAVE BEEN RAISING WILD TURTLE’S,CHAMELION’S,SKINK’S AND SNAKE’S,FROG’S,TOAD’S AND MAMMEL’S I AM KNOW TURNING 12 IN JUST WEEK’S AND I KNOW MORE ABOUT CERTAIN ANIMAL’S THEN ANYBODY I KNOW APARNTLY I WASN’T TO SMART ABOUT THE MEALWORM’S AND I HAVE BRED THEM BEFORE BUT IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE HEALTHIEST THING’S FOR YOUR PET’S TO EAT ARE SILKWORM’S DEPENDING ON WHAT YOUR PET IS AND CRICKET’S ARE SECOND BEST THEN MOST LIKLY BUTTERWORM’S OR EARTHWORM’S AND SO ON BUT LIKE I SAID DEPENDING ON WHAT YOUR PET IS I JUST DON’T WANT NOBODY TO GO THROUGH WHAT I HAVE JUST WENT THROUGH IF YOU WANT TO POST ON HERE AND TALK AND I KNOW ITS NOT JUST MY PET THAT GOT KILLED BY THESE AWFUL CREATURE’S I KNOW SOME FRIEND’S PET’S THAT HAVE WENT THROUGH IT TO DON’T TAKE THAT RISK THANK’S FOR LISTENING SUPER WORM’S ARE THE SAME THING’S ARE ADULT MEALWORM’S

12/12/06  09:17pm

LeapingLeo123
View Profile

Message To: Animal-lover   In reference to Message Id: 1092989

meal worms are safe for some reptiles like leos but bad for others like beardies so chill dont feed your pets mealies if you dont want to but I think it is fine

12/13/06  06:30pm

Grave
View Profile

Message To: LeapingLeo123   In reference to Message Id: 1094041

my water dragon loves them and hes fine

12/19/06  05:06am

LeapingLeo123
View Profile

Message To: Grave   In reference to Message Id: 1099923

yeah there are MANY other things that could have got your pet sick. What animal was it that died?

12/19/06  06:20pm

DragonPaw
View Profile

Message To: LeapingLeo123   In reference to Message Id: 1100483

I doubt a mealworm would have chewed through your animal. Mealworms are slow and inactive, and even if your animal swallowed it whole, it surely would have drowned if the stomach acid didn’t kill it first. Ever put one in water? It doesn’t have to be there for long to die. Even superworms cannot chew through the stomach for the same drowning and digesting reasons as the mealworm.

And no, superworms are not the same as mealworms. They are completely different species.
Mealworm: tenebrio molitor
Superworm: zophobas morio

Another thing, there is no such thing as adult mealworms or superworms. These worms are the larva stage of the adult beetles.

The only problem with mealworms is that they have little nutrients and are more chitinous than nutritious so they can cause impactions.

Yes, and what animal is it that died? There are so many problems that could have caused your animal’s death. I am sorry about your loss, but I have trouble believing a mealworm would have caused it.

12/24/06  03:42pm

LeapingLeo123
View Profile

Message To: DragonPaw   In reference to Message Id: 1105793

yeah if you had it on bark then that would do it because it can rip its stomach inside out

12/24/06  05:58pm

Finners
View Profile

Message To: DragonPaw   In reference to Message Id: 1105793

Agreed with DragonPaw....mealworms chewing through stomachs are a myth. They need oxygen to survive, and there is not oxygen in the stomach.

12/24/06  08:07pm

LeapingLeo123
View Profile

Message To: Finners   In reference to Message Id: 1106089

well maybe a little to live for a few seconds so yeah it was not mealies

12/24/06  08:54pm

DragonTamer
View Profile

Message To: LeapingLeo123   In reference to Message Id: 1106133

Your right, meal worms are ok for some reptiles, actually alot of them. That would have to be a myth to to a mysterious force called, "facts".

12/27/06  01:21am

Atlfrog
View Profile

Mealworms chewing through stomaches and body parts is quite a myth. Now anything in our world is possible, but mealworms when entered into a reptiles or animals stomache dies from teh acids that are present within the stomache. I have nver in all the years that I have been selling mealworms, feeding mealworms, etc. have had a problem. The worm that you may be talking about could possibly be a maget of some sort, but usually that happens when the animal has died for awhile and flies have gotten to it.

01/01/07  04:56pm

CrazyTaco-
View Profile

Message To: Atlfrog   In reference to Message Id: 1115003

Ok...

Not to sound rude, but it’s probably your fault for your animals death.

If it was a meal worm that ate your animal (which I doubt), it was probably an animal that was a vegetarian.

02/13/07  05:39pm

Rose lover
View Profile

Message To: CrazyTaco-   In reference to Message Id: 1172099

Ok...

i bought mealworms for my tarantula but she wouldn’t eat them, i then found out my rats looooooooove them.

02/15/07  12:13pm

Acken
View Profile

Message To: Rose lover   In reference to Message Id: 1174333

Ok...

If a mealworm was able to kill your reptile, that means that your pet was severly unhealthy and malnorished, same goes with getting impacted because of thier hard shell, mealworms don’tkill reptiles, bad conditions do.

02/16/07  08:15pm

Emeraldman
View Profile

Message To: Acken   In reference to Message Id: 1175998

I think we’re all agreed here.

I have never, in any way, shape, or form, heard about a mealworm eating a lizard lol. But I think I may know how you seem to have assumed this!

Unless you witnessed the happenings described above, I believe you may have just suspected the worst when the real timeline had actually been flipped in your mind. You thought the mealworm had been eaten, and ate through the lining of the stomach, exiting and killing your lizard. I believe your amimal died ( I have no idea what caused that, therefore I will not blame you on killing it ) and a stray mealworm entered the animal’s side and stomach, probably looking for more food. Unless you saw otherwise, I assume this is the correct timeline, and is much more believeable at least...

02/18/07  09:38pm

Emeraldman
View Profile

Message To: Acken   In reference to Message Id: 1175998

I have never, in any way, shape, or form, heard about a mealworm eating a lizard lol. But I think I may know how you seem to have assumed this!

Unless you witnessed the happenings described above, I believe you may have just suspected the worst when the real timeline had actually been flipped in your mind. You thought the mealworm had been eaten, and ate through the lining of the stomach, exiting and killing your lizard. I believe your amimal died ( I have no idea what caused that, therefore I will not blame you on killing it ) and a stray mealworm entered the animal’s side and stomach, probably looking for more food. Unless you saw otherwise, I assume this is the correct timeline, and is much more believeable at least...

02/18/07  09:48pm

Iluvmyneol
View Profile

Message To: Emeraldman   In reference to Message Id: 1178851

i know this is random but i a meal worm bit my frog and he spit it out and was petrified of it. If i crush the head of the mealworm will it still move so my frog can eat it. He won’t eat anything dead.

05/12/07  11:37pm

Santaaa
View Profile

Message To: Iluvmyneol   In reference to Message Id: 1279617

I have actually read about meal worms eating the inside of animals out. I lost the place I read it sorry. It was suggested to cut their heads off before feeding them to your pets. Myth or not I prefer to feed crickets and stay away from those meal worms as well I don’t want to risk it.

05/15/07  12:15am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Santaaa   In reference to Message Id: 1281904

mealworms will eat into a dead animal not out of a live one, dont beleive me? take a f/t pinkie and throw it in a container with mealwroms and watch the result

05/16/07  08:33am

Emozoe666
View Profile

Message To: LeapingLeo123   In reference to Message Id: 1100483

sry im new to this and dont know how to reply but they can be dangorous i got a bearded dragon and now im going to start cutting the heads of the mealworms and im thinkin about breeding mealworms and selling them is this a good idea e-mail me please

05/28/07  07:05pm

Ninjaninja
View Profile

Message To: Emozoe666   In reference to Message Id: 1296922

ok look mealworms bite the
inside of the preditors moths
for defence. and cant posibly
live trow a crushing stomach
i was dared to eat one a
cople days ago =/ pritty
tastei thow

06/09/07  10:39pm

Anguisfan
View Profile

Message To: Ninjaninja   In reference to Message Id: 1312124

After aking many questions,and reading about mealworms in MANY forums about that,it’s a 100/100 myth!When a mealworm enters a stomach(of a reptile),it dies almosty instantly from all the fluids in the stomach.A mealie could eat through a VERY THIN,DIYNG OR DEAD AND SEVEREUSLY DEHYDRATED ANIMAL!!!
Another option is that the liz gobbled it up,then died from a reaso I don’t know,and then the mealie went out,but I say again,it should have been kewpt in a very bad codition.
So,don’t blame otrhers!
Are you sure you didn’t make it up in your mind?????

06/11/07  11:25am

Ryansturtle
View Profile

Message To: Emeraldman   In reference to Message Id: 1178851

...... there is no way that a mealie could have done this. It’s pure myth. I agree with everyone here except for you. Unless you saw this happen, your pet probably died and the skin rotted making it easy for a mealie to come inside that was just looking for extra food. and plus a mealie needs oxygen and the stomach has none. and it couldn’t have survived the stomach acids for more than a few seconds.

06/17/07  02:08pm

Caton420
View Profile

Message To: Ryansturtle   In reference to Message Id: 1321792

just wanna point out i pick up mealys everyday with my fingers.... now superworms bite... and hard
as far as breeding mealworms, id go with supers, more nuts and EASIER!!!

06/18/07  09:39pm

ReptilesrockRBNY
View Profile

Message To: Caton420   In reference to Message Id: 1323930

well i was at petco one day where i decided to get another crestie and my mom was with me and she wanted to make sure i had everything because it was my youngest one ever and there were dead mealies in a bowl and she wanted to know 1. Why they werent Alive...and 2. she hates any wormy, legless thing and if we HAD to feed them. She asked the Petco guy and he said they werent alive because if they were swallowed by such young cresteds, they would live inside their stomach and come out as beetles. I thought it was a load of BS but w/e. and no we didnt have to feed them to me crestie.

06/19/07  01:41pm

Salazar07
View Profile

Message To: ReptilesrockRBNY   In reference to Message Id: 1324721

LIER

06/25/07  07:52am

Superwormbreeder
View Profile

Meal worms are not dangerous! I have a lizard that is 19 years old and he loves Meal worms, he even eats them alive. Maybe something was already wrong with your reptile like it was malnourished so then when it was near the meal worm it had a bacterial attack causing the meal worm to be attracted to your pet. I am then supposing that the meal worm wasn’t being fed properly and so got to your pet and feasted on your reptile, which made it seem that the case was that the meal worm bit through your pet when it was really your pet decomposing which made it get a hole from where the skin used to be. Last off, Meal worms are harmless if you feel they aren’t then next time prove it before telling people things that are not true!

06/27/07  06:51pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

no way stomach acid

07/06/07  01:54am

Tokay gecko
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 1347590

MEALWORM�S ARE DANGOROUS(READ IF YOU LOVE YOUR PET�S)

can u feed mealies or supers to bearded dragon i have done this for almost a year now but u liz died from antibonics disease wat i made up it meens ur pet died from three things cut stomach sickness or worst of all dehydration

02/28/10  07:47pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area