Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Layne27   Minya  

Member  Message

Layne27
View Profile

Blue A. Iguana

Hi!
So I’ve been researching and dreaming of having a pet iguana for years. My kids are old enough now and we finally think its time. Just wanted to know if anyone with actual experience had any advice or good info. on Blue Iguanas. Also, I’m still not sure which would be best....male or female?
Thanks so much!!!!

12/16/17  12:22pm

Minya
View Profile

Message To: Layne27   In reference to Message Id: 2321643

Blue A. Iguana

Hi, I had two rescued green iggys for 25 years. Lost the second one two months ago and the other 2 yrs ago. One was male and one female. They get very large. They were at least 5/6 yrs old when I got them and I knew nothing about them, only that they needed a home. To start, I would go on petfinder dot com or a reptile shelter to start looking. Some people on pet finder will have a setup they will include with the iguana and have background info on their pet so you can decide what temperament is best. My male was extremely aggressive he tried to bite me every single day or smack me with his tail. So, no children for him. The female was incredibly sweet and gentle. Mine were 4 and 5 feet long. BIG cage. Big poop.

Blue iguanas are a rare and protected species. I remember a woman on this site was selected as a foster once a long time ago.

From wiki
The blue iguana (Cyclura lewisi), also known as the Grand Cayman iguana, Grand Cayman blue iguana or Cayman Island blue iguana, is an endangered species of lizard endemic to the island of Grand Cayman. Previously listed as a subspecies of the Cuban iguana (Cyclura nubila), it was reclassified as a separate species in 2004 because of genetic differences discovered four years earlier. The blue iguana is one of the longest-living species of lizard (possibly up to 69 years). The record is 67 years.

Blue iguana
Grand Cayman Blue Iguana.jpg
Conservation status

Endangered (IUCN 3.1)[1]
Scientific classification e
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Reptilia
Order: Squamata
Suborder: Iguania
Family: Iguanidae
Genus: Cyclura
Species: C. lewisi
Binomial name
Cyclura lewisi
Grant, 1940
Synonyms
Cyclura macleayi lewisi
Grant, 1940
Cyclura nubila lewisi
— Schwartz & Thomas, 1975 [2]
Cyclura lewisi — Burton, 2004
The preferred habitat for the blue iguana is rocky, sunlit, open areas in dry forests or near the shore, as the females must dig holes in the sand to lay eggs in June and July.

12/16/17  02:43pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area