Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mogar   Reed22   Sdellin   Sdellin  

Member  Message

Mogar
View Profile

How can I fix this

I currently own a 3 year old female green iguana, we had family over a while ago and had to dismantle her cage, she has since been free roam. She does receive sunlight via windows and if need be a heat lamp. She seemed to enjoy free roaming but it change recently. In my bathroom we have an unfinished bath tub, the tub works fine but has exposed pipes and you can go underneath it or by it’s side. There is a skylight above the tub so she would lay in it to get her sun, I also believe she enjoyed the cool feeling on her stomach. Then one day we saw her on the side of the tub, almost underneath it, we got her out assuming she got stuck. We then put her in the living room and fed her. She then went towards the bathroom again and I let her. Next day we saw that she was yet again under the tub, we pulled her out and gave her food but she did not eat. I shut the bathroom door and let her roam, she sat on the couch for awhile and I walked away assuming she would be fine, next day she was again under the tub, she had crawled under the door. This cycle has happened a few times now and I just assume she likes that spot, we pull her out, feed her, and she goes back there, repeat almost daily. She isn’t constantly sleeping she just sits there awake staring into the doorway, almost like she’s hiding. Is this normal and if not how do I fix it?

08/30/17  05:13am

Reed22
View Profile

Message To: Mogar   In reference to Message Id: 2321166

How can I fix this

first off she is NOT getting any UVb through the windows. She needs a proper uvb bulb, mercury vapor bulbs are the best if you get the right kind. Reptileuv can help you there.

maybe she likes that spot to hide. Marlon is a free roamer and used to somehow squeeze himself into the inside case of a throw pillow and hide there for hours, or hed go ontop of the tv and wedge himself between it and the mantel.

As long as she gets proper uvb and isnt too cold there she should be fine GET UVB

09/10/17  06:05pm

Sdellin
View Profile

How can I fix this

ALL windows filter out ALL UVB and she will die without it. Screens filter 50% or more. You should have an enclosure for your iguana. I’m sorry, but if you had to dismantle her enclosure and cannot roe-assemble it for some reason, it would be better to re-home her.

UVB is one of the three most important things an iguana must have, along with an appropriate diet and heat. If you allow an iguana to free-roam, that iguana will not be warm enough unless you keep your house at 95 degrees and a minimum of 75 degrees at night. Your iguana also needs a basking spot with a UVB/heat bulb (mercury vapor is best) that remains 95 - 105 degrees during the day. The bulb, of course, should be high enough above the basking spot to keep from burning her. She may not get burned touching it if it’s high enough, but even if she can’t reach it the distance needs to be appropriate to avoid UVB burns. Most bulbs come with recommendations on the packaging, for instance 18” above the iguana’s head when the iguana is sitting up as high as they can sit.

What are the chances you can put an enclosure together for your iguana? In my humble opinion, if you are an iguana owner, you must provide a safe enclosure where your iguana can be locked in for it’s own safety.

Another very important thing to consider when an iguana is allowed to roam free is they can and will eat things they should not. You might not think they’d be so ... well, for lack of a better term “stupid”... the fact is they can ingest things like marbles, pieces of paper, rubber bands, small toys, small things you might not notice lying around, under the couch or even construction waste that you find under most bathtubs because it’s dropped during construction, like nails, splotches of paint or texture, they eat and get blockages from all kinds of things.

As far as the bathroom, I would not let the iguana roam unsupervised in bathroom with an unfinished or fully enclosed tub. An iguana should only be roaming free unsupervised in a room that is dedicated to and set up as a habitat or an iguana. I have seen people do this, in my opinion it’s overkill because most people can’t just give up a whole room for their iguana in their home. You might think about converting a closet to a habitat for her. Please consider your obligation to keeping her safe. I wish you the best of luck with your girl.

10/28/17  06:26pm

Sdellin
View Profile

How can I fix this

ALL windows filter out ALL UVB and she will die without it. Screens filter 50% or more. You should have an enclosure for your iguana. I’m sorry, but if you had to dismantle her enclosure and cannot roe-assemble it for some reason, it would be better to re-home her.

UVB is one of the three most important things an iguana must have, along with an appropriate diet and heat. If you allow an iguana to free-roam, that iguana will not be warm enough unless you keep your house at 95 degrees and a minimum of 75 degrees at night. Your iguana also needs a basking spot with a UVB/heat bulb (mercury vapor is best) that remains 95 - 105 degrees during the day. The bulb, of course, should be high enough above the basking spot to keep from burning her. She may not get burned touching it if it’s high enough, but even if she can’t reach it the distance needs to be appropriate to avoid UVB burns. Most bulbs come with recommendations on the packaging, for instance 18” above the iguana’s head when the iguana is sitting up as high as they can sit.

What are the chances you can put an enclosure together for your iguana? In my humble opinion, if you are an iguana owner, you must provide a safe enclosure where your iguana can be locked in for it’s own safety.

Another very important thing to consider when an iguana is allowed to roam free is they can and will eat things they should not. You might not think they’d be so ... well, for lack of a better term “stupid”... the fact is they can ingest things like marbles, pieces of paper, rubber bands, small toys, small things you might not notice lying around, under the couch or even construction waste that you find under most bathtubs because it’s dropped during construction, like nails, splotches of paint or texture, they eat and get blockages from all kinds of things.

As far as the bathroom, I would not let the iguana roam unsupervised in bathroom with an unfinished or fully enclosed tub. An iguana should only be roaming free unsupervised in a room that is dedicated to and set up as a habitat or an iguana. I have seen people do this, in my opinion it’s overkill because most people can’t just give up a whole room for their iguana in their home. You might think about converting a closet to a habitat for her. Please consider your obligation to keeping her safe. I wish you the best of luck with your girl.

10/28/17  06:29pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area