Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

DesperateIguanaOwner   Just4Help   Just4Help   Reed22   Reed22  

Member  Message

DesperateIguanaOwner
View Profile

Is giving a very small baby iguana a bath necessary and when should I trim nails

Pretty much exactly the title I’ve been the proud owner of an iguana for 5 days and just want to know when to do these things and if they are necessary in this case. Sorry about grammar but it’s pretty late and I just want answers please and thank you!

06/24/17  11:05pm

Just4Help
View Profile

Message To: DesperateIguanaOwner   In reference to Message Id: 2320790

Is giving a very small baby iguana a bath necessary and when should I trim nails

They get a lot of physical attention and I talk to them constantly. Both igs make it very clear when they would prefer to be alone by turning their heads away, closing their eyes and waiting for me to go away. Otherwise they pretty much want my attention whenever they see me. Gizmo will climb up on me and headbutt my hand until I rub her. Amazon is more subtle and puts his head under the waterfall until water sprays all over his cage until I come to pick him up. ;) They get their nails checked regularly and trimmed at least weekly. Gizmo lies across my lap and lets me file down any rough edges like she is enjoying the manicure while I have to wait until Amazon is sleepy or it�s wiggly iglet time. Daily baths, then sterilizing and rinsing the tub are an absolute must. Beating up on any item I bring into the house and testing for areas where toes could get stuck and constantly trying to stay one step ahead while iguana-proofing my life and all objects in it is a constant chore.

Finding interesting objects to climb or for hiding is another big must. I eBayed for a large fishing net I cut into sections for my igs to enjoy. Cat furniture, plastic milk crates and lots of other found objects bring a lot of exercise opportunities into my igs� lives.

06/28/17  07:48am

Just4Help
View Profile

They get a lot of physical attention and I talk to them constantly. Both igs make it very clear when they would prefer to be alone by turning their heads away, closing their eyes and waiting for me to go away. Otherwise they pretty much want my attention whenever they see me. Gizmo will climb up on me and headbutt my hand until I rub her. Amazon is more subtle and puts his head under the waterfall until water sprays all over his cage until I come to pick him up. ;) They get their nails checked regularly and trimmed at least weekly. Gizmo lies across my lap and lets me file down any rough edges like she is enjoying the manicure while I have to wait until Amazon is sleepy or it�s wiggly iglet time. Daily baths, then sterilizing and rinsing the tub are an absolute must. Beating up on any item I bring into the house and testing for areas where toes could get stuck and constantly trying to stay one step ahead while iguana-proofing my life and all objects in it is a constant chore.

Finding interesting objects to climb or for hiding is another big must. I eBayed for a large fishing net I cut into sections for my igs to enjoy. Cat furniture, plastic milk crates and lots of other found objects bring a lot of exercise opportunities into my igs� lives.

THIS IS FROM A CARE SHEET! NOT MY OWN

06/28/17  07:50am

Reed22
View Profile

Message To: Just4Help   In reference to Message Id: 2320807

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Iguana-Ultimate-Owners-Manual/dp/1883463505/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A66275SA1YFKJCXA2VYZ

buy this and read it cover to cover.

as far as a quick answer, bath at least every couple days, trim nails when the black goes a good ways past the white(meaty part).

as a side note, when they are young is the time to hold them and interact and bath/hand feed them as much as possible without stressing them. you want him to become as comfortable with you as possible before he is big enough to seriously hurt you. my iguana is 7 years, and will walk to the bathtub on his own to go to the bathroom, knows how to tell me he’s hungry, and generally has the disposition of a high strung dog. I did this by daily baths and hand feeding him the first bits of his meal each day, leaving him alone when he wants, and letting him explore outside, inside, other animals, etc. as much as possible.

The amount of love and respect you give your Iguana will determine it’s future behavior and attitude towards you.

07/02/17  10:35pm

Reed22
View Profile

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Iguana-Ultimate-Owners-Manual/dp/1883463505/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A66275SA1YFKJCXA2VYZ

buy this and read it cover to cover.

as far as a quick answer, bath at least every couple days, trim nails when the black goes a good ways past the white(meaty part).

as a side note, when they are young is the time to hold them and interact and bath/hand feed them as much as possible without stressing them. you want him to become as comfortable with you as possible before he is big enough to seriously hurt you. my iguana is 7 years, and will walk to the bathtub on his own to go to the bathroom, knows how to tell me he’s hungry, and generally has the disposition of a high strung dog. I did this by daily baths and hand feeding him the first bits of his meal each day, leaving him alone when he wants, and letting him explore outside, inside, other animals, etc. as much as possible.

The amount of love and respect you give your Iguana will determine it’s future behavior and attitude towards you.

07/02/17  10:35pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area