Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

JefedeuCe   Crazyscales   Hitchhiker101   Hitchhiker101  

Member  Message

JefedeuCe
View Profile

Black spots on baby green iguana!!!! Dry gangrene??

I purchased a baby green iguana a few weeks ago, maybe a month ago. He was skinny but no lethargic, he wasn’t eating at first but now he eats like a champ (collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, butternut squash, bell pepper, green beans). He’s in a nice large enclosure ill attach pictures. With exoterra 5.0 uvm 18" slimline fixture ,and 100 watt heat bulb. Plenty of space ropes vines branches. I use reptibark by zoomed too hold humidity more b/c it is a screen cage . And i mist him twice a day, and provide fresh water daily, i give him a 30 min soak 2-3 weekly. Heres the idea behind what i built his cage as: top is more arid and hot hence the screen, bottom is more humid and cool hence the glass. I made a sort of topper for the terrarium out of screen and wood yada yada. About 48 inches tall 18 inches wide 32 inches long. Oh and temps are around 80 and 90ish around basking spot humidity before i mist is 30-40ish after i mist its 70-80 range. 2-3x daily.Just thought id tell you a lil about his setup and diet before i get started. Hes also around 3-4 months. Okay so i noticed he was getting black on his head normal id think it happened after a partial shed, when i first got him he was brighter green but dull at the same time he has a blueish tint too him. Well he went through a partial shed where only his head shed and thats when i noticed black coloration on his head. Hes still in the process of shedding i believe bc hes even more dull than ever. But hes got these black spots on his tail and arms and legs, its the same texture of the rest of the skin except on his hind legs where 2 spots are a bit raised and smaller but harder. Just little splotches anyways when i went to take him out one day i noticed a piece on his tail was flaking off, underneath was no scale just grey skin like muscle tissue?!?!?! Now all the other spots are doing the same on his hands and feet, where i thought it was skin flaking off its literal skin not shed skin. I dont know what to do theres not a reptile vet around here i know of. Im gonna take him to the pet store to see what the say, but i like the lil guy i wanna save him thats why i got him,the smallest in the tank. He was in there with bigger ones and i dont think they were letting him eat like he should.what do i do? [Image]

01/14/17  09:01pm

Crazyscales
View Profile

Message To: JefedeuCe   In reference to Message Id: 2320106

Hey buddy, I’m no vet but this is just what I think. As far as black spots go. Those are pretty normal. I have 7 iggies at the moment and all of them have black spots at times. They do change colors so please keep that in mind. You cage set up seems really thought out and well done, but take a good look to check for any sharp points of any kind. When they get scared as you may already know , they go full force in any direction, thrashing around. Also another thing to consider is, are you keeping it to moist? Bacteria thrive in harm moist environments. There needs to be a good dry period in between all the spraying. What kind of bedding if any? I use paper towels for the first couple of months when I first get a youngster. So I can be sure that it has daily bowl movements and I know that a paper towel is parasite and bacteria free. Maybe this doesn’t help but sometimes having someone to talk it out with does. But please if anything you may try doesn’t work out try and find a vet. I wish you luck!

01/28/17  08:12pm

Hitchhiker101
View Profile

As long as those spots remain the same texture as other normal scales, then it is nothing to worry about , but if it’s like a little hump or something then it may caused by parasites or fungal/bacterial infection. You can try lower the humidity to 40-60% and wipe his body clean every time after shower, and if it’s possible, try some skin meds that kill fungus and bacterias

03/05/17  05:09am

Hitchhiker101
View Profile

Sorry, No Message.

03/05/17  05:25am

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area