Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mixozilla   Reed22   Reed22   Mixozilla  

Member  Message

Mixozilla
View Profile

My iguana wont eat anything but Arugula!

Hello everyone,

I have a year and a half old green iguana, had her settled in for over a month and she doesnt have any problem with me handling her unless she’s roaming in the room, but in the inclosure or anytime i set down low she wouldnt run. Anyway, I’ve been trying to feed her different things lately but I noticed she wont eat anything but arugula, tried to give her strawbaries in the inclosure, cucumber and even watermelon to get her a bit more hydrated; but she wont eat anything not "leafy" per say.
I have her in a cage covered in plastic from 3 sides to not let ac air in and humidifier mist out. Have the "mercury vapor" heat lamp with uva+uvb light all in one bulb, 100w if it’s any important. And at night i use the ceramic heat emitter to keep the inclosure warm.

And while I’m in here already, is it normal for the iguana to have white mucus with it’s feces? And if not, how do i treat it?
Picture of the inclosure will be attached.

Cheers.

09/02/16  02:16pm

Reed22
View Profile

Message To: Mixozilla   In reference to Message Id: 2319392

In my experience they sometimes go through periods where they don’t want to eat anything but greens. My 5 year old iguana eats mostly everything, but sometimes he will ignore fruits and just eat the greens.

Are you offering collard greens, kale, any greens besides arugala? A good variety of dark leafy greens is necessary. Here is s good chart for lots of foods you can feed them. http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm

And the white mucus stuff sounds likes urates. google it to check. It’s basically pee.

09/05/16  12:14am

Reed22
View Profile

Message To: Mixozilla   In reference to Message Id: 2319392

Also, I would recommend getting a larger enclosure, you’re going to need it sooner or later and based on what I can see she is testing the limits as is. Also she would probably appreciate a hideout, somewhere she can be away from the outside.

09/05/16  12:17am

Mixozilla
View Profile

Message To: Reed22   In reference to Message Id: 2319402

I have been offering other things, but once she eats one peice of it, she leaves it and stops eating, tried mixing basil with the aragula yesterday, she ate a bit arugula and once she ate 1 peice of basil she stopped eating all the food. And about the new enclosure, I am trying to raise money it is too expensive in my country and I’m just a college student. I keep the enclosure open most of the day so she does move around in my room which i am sure is big enough and has lots of places to hide "mostly my end table or behind my pillows".

09/05/16  06:05am

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area