Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Se0908   Slanth   Slanth  

Member  Message

Se0908
View Profile

Baby ig help

Hello,4 days ago I got a blue ig from petco.. staff wasn’t very informative, literally told me to google how to take care of them.
This tiny one seems skinny and I was just worried I am doing the right thing.
Below are my equipment and daily care;
1. 20 Gallon Tank
2. Basking light (for indoor) + 4 to 5 hours of outside sunshine with screen cage
3. Night time ceramic heat light (I got a 60 w.. this is not enough? )
4. Food ; Romaine, peas, raspberry for the past 4 days.
5. Mini pool
6. Paper Towel flooring

Below are my concerns;
1. Seems skinny; hasn’t seen him eat. Poops daily..does this mean he IS eating something?
2. Not too active; will move around when outside, not too much in cage. Some times run around when I put my hand in cage to change food, sometimes just stays there with a super skeptic look towards me.
3. Night time too cold with 60w? I noticed the temp wasn’t so high so started putting aluminum foil over the cage to prevent any cool air. Should I get a higher W or another light?

It feels like I have a newborn baby all over again, but since he’s much much tinier and can’t communicate,
I don’t want any mistakes.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

07/14/16  03:57pm

Slanth
View Profile

Message To: Se0908   In reference to Message Id: 2319111

Baby ig help

Hi, first, your enclosure is too small. You should start with at least a 50 gallon tank so he can turn around. he will grow fast.
2. the bulb size is not as important as the temperature. So, you need a temperature gauge where the ig sits under the light. Figure the distance from top of iguana to bottom of light or hear source and check the temp. daytimes, should be 90 minimum to 102 or so degrees. This is ballpark. Anything less than 90 or 95 and he will not eat.
3. Feed him more than Romaine lettuce for greens, every day. Start him on some arugula at least 3 times a week. It comes in plastic tubs at Kroger or Publix. Also feed him some dandylion flowers and leaves but be sure theres no bug spray on them! Also they love Queen Anne’s Lace! So you can supplement his diet that way. A little bit of mangho is great and they LOVE it, and blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc.
Avoid crickets they are too high in protein and it stunts their growth. Diet should be 90% leafy greens. Avoid spinach, its too high in iron for them.
4. Since the terrarium is glass, he isnt getting much ventilation. So, at least keep a screen top on it.
DO NOT USE SHAVINGS AS BEDDING! Pine, cedar, and most bedding is toxic to them. Just put newspapers down.
Keep it humid. Youcan spray him with water or better yet, buy some moisturizing spray at the pet store. It has vitamins, etc.
SUPPLEMENT CALCIUM! Iguanas dont grow if they get too little calcium. Also their bones get brittle and they will break. They even get deformed, so buy some calcium WITH vitamin D supplement, made just for reptiles. Sprinkle the calcium powder (or use the liquid spray version) all over the lettuce and greens and blend it in a little. They like it . Put a humidifier in the room with him too.
Best of luck.
Slanth

07/20/16  10:50pm

Slanth
View Profile

Message To: Se0908   In reference to Message Id: 2319111

Baby ig help

Is the basking light full spectrum, designed for iguanas and herps? The outside time is great if it hot out, but if the lizard gets to temperatures lower than 90 degrees or so, it affects the appetite.

07/20/16  10:56pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area