Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Maliktheig   Eris   Ahaan03  

Member  Message

Maliktheig
View Profile

Just wondering

I have a young iguana. I got him a couple months ago and left him alone for the most part for 2 weeks. Now he freaks out when i go to get him out of the cage but once he is resting on my arm he is gentle and i can pet him until i go to put him back in his tank. By freaks out i mean tail whips. Is this normal? Also he has a hard bump right where his tail starts, could that be from whipping or shedding?

04/18/16  04:44pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Maliktheig   In reference to Message Id: 2317954

Just wondering

I’m not all that familiar with Iguanas, but I saw no one replied, so I’ll throw my 2 cents in....Sounds like he is being territorial with his cage. If he is reaching adulthood, it may be his breeding season causing him to be more territorial and aggressive. Try to go slow and give him time.

The bump could be damage from whipping, but I’m not sure...there are also other concerns such as parasites, cysts or a mass caused by infection. Keep an eye on it-measure it or take a photo for comparison-if it continues to grow, becomes red/has discharge, changes shape, or begins to bother him, then get him checked out by a vet.

04/25/16  07:25pm

Ahaan03
View Profile

Message To: Maliktheig   In reference to Message Id: 2317954

Just wondering

Yes that is completely normal how he is acting. It took me 3 years to get mine to let me pet and hold him- not saying that-ll be the case for you but they take months to years to calm down.

Not sure about the bump... how old is he? If he is close to a year it may just be the bumps on his tail meaning he is a male.
I would join the "Iguana Owners" page on facebook for quicker responses and advise.

05/03/16  01:54pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area