Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Baker03   Takahiro111   Baker03   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Baker03
View Profile

Temper and tail problems

I recently got my iguana from a pet store that got him from his old owner and no longer wanted him. He has a temper and has a hard time letting anyone near him. Very rarely does he let us pet him. He whips us with his tail and usually tries getting away. I was told in order for that to change, we need to have a bond based on trust. Which definitely makes sense considering he’s a little older. We’re thinking a year to two years old. How do I go about this? Also, his tail is in very bad condition. We think it’s dry gangrene but aren’t sure. It looks dead and and is brown and split at the very bottom like it was broken before. What do I do about his tail? I’ve always wanted an iguana but don’t know too much about them so I was told about this site and am hoping to find answers on our boy. He’s beautiful and I’d love to keep such a beautiful reptile but it upsets me how we can barely even pet him or hold him without a freak out. Which I do understand why he does what he does. I jus would like some advice on how to go about getting him to trust us and let us give him the attention he needs and what to do about his tail. Thank you in advance!

02/06/16  07:55pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Baker03   In reference to Message Id: 2316948

Temper and tail problems

Well that’s an iguana for ya I have 3 adult 5 foot males(green,blue,red Iggie’s) and their aggressive 90% of the time. Building trust with an older lizard can go for years or never. It all depends on the animal itself if he wanna change. About the tail, see a vet asap gangrene spreads they might have to amputate the part of his tail that already died. Iggie’s in general have a temper with males being the worse. Before trying to bond get him medical care then when he fully recover try petting him, then when he gets comfortable pick him up but do this slowly also let his see your providing food and you can also try tong feeding.

02/06/16  10:02pm

Baker03
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316950

Temper and tail problems

He’s not always aggressive, he actually allows us to pet him at times and sometimes even falls asleep or just closes his eyes when we do. It’s more so the picking him up that gets him more than anything. But his previous owner never showed him attention, at least that’s what we were told. I was told his tail isn’t gangrene, but I can’t be forsure. What does it look like exactly?

02/08/16  06:24pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Baker03   In reference to Message Id: 2316961

Temper and tail problems

Here’s a link
https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-google&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=980&bih=1509&q=gangrene+in+reptiles&oq=gangrene+in+reptiles&gs_l=img.3...5727.14240.0.15003.19.11.0.8.1.0.273.1359.4j4j2.10.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.10.1273.z_FIJSmHF_0#imgrc=6J2zMY9Wn99KJM%3A

It looks like dying flesh never seen it in person

02/09/16  07:40am

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area