Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Natb714   Takahiro111   Takahiro111   Natb714   Takahiro111   Bara102  

Member  Message

Natb714
View Profile

Help, Possible Euthanasia Case

Please help or give advice if you have any. No negative comments please!
I rescued an iguana 7 months ago. He is about 18 months old now. He is properly cared for with his enclosure, lighting, heat, water, food, humidity, hide spot, etc.
I have tried various methods to tame him, including handling and keeping him in areas of the home where he can see people frequently. His previous owner never held him. The situation is upsetting because he is still very aggressive. He tail whips and tries to bite every single time I come close. From what I’ve read, most iguanas can be tamed, but he might be that small percentage that can’t. We do not have many rescues in PA or surrounding areas for him to go to for expert care.
Should he be euthanized due to this behavior? Is there hope left?

12/30/15  01:06pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Natb714   In reference to Message Id: 2316341

That’s an iguana. They are known to be aggressive especially males. I rescued a 8’ croc monitor who’s been neglected and was about to be euthanized before I was able to get him because his behavior and he’s way aggressive and 10x worse than an Iggie but I’m still keeping him. Sorry but you should’ve known what you were getting into but give him to a reptile rescue. And its crazy how you’re gonna euthanize such a lizard for acting what he really is...an iguana/wild animal, he’s only acting out of nature not to mention he wasn’t cared for or showed no love/affection from the previous owner. I own a blue and red Iggie and their far from nice but have their good times once a while. Its not gonna be quick to build trust, this takes months to years.

12/30/15  06:35pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316347

There some iguana/reptile rescues online or see if someone(good owner) locally would take him.

12/30/15  06:38pm

Natb714
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316347

For the record, I do not appreciate being bashed for this decision. Just because YOU are able to keep an aggressive iguana, does not mean that I can. My other iguana is 8 years old and 5 feet long, so I am well aware of the aggression. I’m well aware that he is a wild animal. I rescued the young one because someone was going to leave him outside to die in the cold.

There are no rescues within 6 states that have stepped up to take him. I have offered to drive 10 hours.
I asked for no negativity in my post, especially from a self righteous person (such as yourself). My passion is rescuing and rehabilitation neglected and abused animals.
Please, if you’d like to bash me, then take him if you want to rehabilitate him.
Have a great day.

12/31/15  07:45am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Natb714   In reference to Message Id: 2316356

Wasn’t bashing but making a point and I myself rescue reptiles but don’t throw to someone else because I can’t handle it. I’m able to keep aggressive animals because irresponsible people get them then dump them on some else or release them or even kill them for acting what they are and I’m the type to step up and show them the proper care. Well sorry if you read the post the wrong way and thought I was being negative but I wasn’t and sorry but I don’t plan on adding to my collection at the moment. But anyways I’m done here good luck with the Iggie..

12/31/15  12:54pm

Bara102
View Profile

Message To: Natb714   In reference to Message Id: 2316341

Where in PA are you? Not asking for your address (obviously), just asking in what general area. Like eastern, central, etc.? I know quite a few people who take in iguanas to train, also the ASPCA is a good place.

06/19/16  06:40pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area