Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Silversugar444   Takahiro111   Silversugar444   Snakebuz  

Member  Message

Silversugar444
View Profile

Iguana Keeps Falling Off Shelf! Help!

My 15 year old male,Green Iguana has just recently began to fall off his shelf (and it’s a pretty hard fall from the shelf to the floor.)I at first thought it was because he fell off one time and I decided to let him out and roam the basement, but I am beginning to think this is not the case. He has fallen off multiple times, and I have never been there to witness it (because his hut/cage is in a separate room) but I know for a fact he did fall off because he has injured his bottom jaw twice, nothing serious, but I am worried he will fall off another time and break his jaw. I understand iguanas are hearty animals but the last time he fell his jaw was very bloody and every time he falls I feel bad because he doesn’t seem to do it on purpose and it can’t be good on his body. His hut/cage is 6 ft (1.8288 meters) tall and 4ft (1.2192 meters) wide. The floor is stick on tile and his shelf is wood with stick on tile as well. He is very healthy and eats a hearty meal everyday.

12/18/15  05:40pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Silversugar444   In reference to Message Id: 2316159

I would remove it if possible because he’s likely gonna keep falling and seriously hurt himself

12/18/15  07:22pm

Silversugar444
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316163

Unfortunately, he only has one shelf.

12/18/15  10:10pm

Snakebuz
View Profile

Message To: Silversugar444   In reference to Message Id: 2316167

I agree, when there is a dangerous area in the cage to the animal, you must redo the cage to make it safe for your animal. Because he used to be able to use the shelf properly does not mean he will ever be able to do so again, considering the amount and severity of his falls. Check his toenails also for overgrown toenails that may be reducing his ability to hold on to his shelf. 15 years is a good lifetime, you’ve been doing right. Keep him happy/healthy in his older life!

SSSSssnakebuz

02/03/16  07:52am

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area