Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dnbroncos72   Takahiro111   Dnbroncos72   Cphill58   Dnbroncos72   Takahiro111   Dnbroncos72   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Dnbroncos72
View Profile

Black fungal

My baby iguana has some black fungus not to bad yet. I was think about using coconut oil cause it’s suppose to be an anti fungal. But if there’s anything other stuff that would work let me know. There isn’t any exotic vet with in a 300 mile radius. I’m gona talk to the vet that I use for my dog to see if she can do anything. I’m more than sure this had to be due to the pet store I got him from. I normal won’t buy a reptile from there but. But I knew I was his last hope. Never dealt with iguana but I’ve dealt with beards, Savannah, water dragons, and large constrictors. I’ve been doing a lot or research.

10/23/15  08:23pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Dnbroncos72   In reference to Message Id: 2315349

Black fungal

Can’t use the oil because we don’t know what type of fungal it is. It can be a fungus or bacteria infection but you can ask your vet about it. I’ve dealt with a skin fungus infection from 2 baby water dragon I rescued years back its not good when it hits its bad stages.

10/24/15  08:55am

Dnbroncos72
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315356

Black fungal

I’ve seen people post use triple antibiotic and lamisil. I’ve had a bearded that had this same problem while back but that’s when we had a exotic vet and she gave me some anti funga. The vet office isn’t open till Monday so I was gona see if anyone else’s had luck with anything else untile then.

10/24/15  09:08am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Dnbroncos72   In reference to Message Id: 2315358

Black fungal

First of all the coconut oil is to help with shedding and hydration / revitalizing of the skin.

If you need to disinfect or kill germs we use betadine solution diluted with water... 50/50 or at least until the betadine is dark tea colored.

Wash the area ...possibly soak for 5-10 minutes.
rinse ...dry apply a triple antibiotic... generic is fine. Just a little bit
If you have substrate remove it and keep the iggy off stuff that will stick to the antibiotic.

if you purchased your iggy from a petco or similar retail store there is a lot of poor health iggys out there. Blister disease is rampant ...google that

Other homeopathic remedies can be found on Melissa Kaplan ...she has a ton of sub links and pages
Melissa Kaplan

Come join us on facebook
Iguana Lovers...ask to join

https://www.facebook.com/groups/iguanalovers/

10/26/15  05:51pm

Dnbroncos72
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315390

Black fungal

Thanks for the info guys. Due to the poor care he received at the pets hop he didn’t make. I took him in Monday and the vet said he was prob to far gone. I knew it that morning. When all he did was sleep and barely move. He ended up passing. The vet said that he had a fungal and an infection. Got a fungal cream and baytril. These pet stores need to have regulations. There so nasty. They just keep pilling animals in pens and selling and never cleaning them. That inhuman and wrong.

10/27/15  05:49pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Dnbroncos72   In reference to Message Id: 2315399

Black fungal

I’m sorry for your lost. I agree these petstores are bad they don’t care about the animal but filling up their pockets and I feel bad because I can’t save all of them.

10/27/15  06:07pm

Dnbroncos72
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315401

Black fungal

I feel you there. It’s sad how people are greedy. Thinking bout getting another one since I’m in the process of building a cage. Had to buy 100 dollars in lights. Was looking at undergound reptiles. They seem like the have a good rep and want to maintain it.

10/27/15  06:44pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Dnbroncos72   In reference to Message Id: 2315405

Black fungal

I read some good and bad things about them and seen some bad YouTube vids. I also don’t like how he grab some tegus by the tail. But hey some breeders has a good and bad reputation. But give us an update on the new Iggie when you get him ☺. I would like to get an albino but to be honest I can’t handle anymore lol especially since I’m trying to start college.

10/27/15  07:36pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area