Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sebrown18   Elements   Sebrown18   Elements   Sebrown18   Cphill58   Sebrown18   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Sebrown18
View Profile

Hello! I’m New!

I’ve been a lurking non member for a while now and really liked these boards so I figured I’d join! I have an Iguana, Oswald, who is about 13 inches long. I’d post a picture of him but unfortunately I can’t at the current moment. I purchased Ozzy about two weeks ago, he’s still adapting to his new home. He’s being housed in a 75 gallon tank that’s turned vertical so he can climb up higher, being arboreal and whatnot. He has a UVB bulb and a 100 watt basking bulb that are both set on a timer to be on for 13 hours a day along with thermometers to keep an eye on the temperature and humidity level. When I get a chance I need to add a photo of the terrarium as well. He enjoys climbing up the screen front of his tank to be close to the heat (his lamps are on the outside of his tank so he doesn’t burn himself). He is sweet, but still very skittish and quite a jumper when he’s spooked! His diet consists of fruits and veggies, such as collard greens, alfalfa, green beans, papaya, mango, snaps peas, etc. His food gets finely chopped in a food processor, mixed together and formed into little veggie balls that get frozen. Each day, when I get home from work, he gets placed in a smaller container with warm water to enjoy some bath time while I clean out his tank, defrost/ replace his food, and refill his water/ bath bowl. I like to let him free roam in my bathroom as it is small and there is nothing for him to get stuck in, run under, or anything of the sort. I usually just stick a towel under the door and sit in there with him as he explores everything, climbs on me, and sits on my head. He does like being pet but he is still getting used to that as well.

The place I got him from was not feeding him an adequate diet even though he looked well fed, he was being fed lettuce and carrots. Because of this, he is being quite stubborn about eating the food I have for him, he may not like the consistency of it either as it’s close to almost baby food-like. I purchased a multi vitamin spray from a local pet shop to spray on his veggies that I’ll start using as of today. I suspect he must be eating at least a little bit because he does poop almost daily, although his poop is minimal. His urates seem to be a little more solid than liquid and, although they are mostly white, there are small bits of orange in them.

09/20/15  11:19am

Elements
View Profile

Message To: Sebrown18   In reference to Message Id: 2314953

Hello! I’m New!

Hey,

I’m a relatively noob and new to the Iguana era, but the one thing that was pointed out I’d like to share. You mentioned he/she was fed carrots, this food has been known to suck calcium from the poor creature reducing growth. I have no doubt that they enjoy carrots and lettuce should "almost" never be fed to iggys.

http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm

They have a very nice breakdown with simple and complex views of different foods and how often to feed.

I know you are trying to feed your iggy right and this should help the little guy or girl out!

Congrats on your new creature! I wish nothing but the best for you both.

09/22/15  02:31pm

Sebrown18
View Profile

Message To: Elements   In reference to Message Id: 2314978

Hello! I’m New!

I’m actually quite familiar with the Green Iguana Society’s web page and dietary charts. The place I bought Ozzy from was feeding him lettuce and carrots. I put a stop to that diet as soon as he came home with me. Now he gets fed a mixture of a variety of fruits and veggies that are all listed on the Green Iguana Society’s website.

I began mixing electrolyte water in his bath-time water, his drinking/swimming bowl water, and the spray bottle I use to mist his terrarium. It seems to be helping him and he seems to be enjoying his bath time more. His urates don’t have as much orange in them anymore but I’m still keeping an eye out. Something I have notice is that his actual poop is becoming less and less, which means that he is probably not eating. I’ve been trying to encourage him to eat while I allow him to free roam in my bathroom but he’s very stubborn.

Is there anything that could kind of inspire an iguana to eat or attract him/ her to the food?

09/23/15  07:36am

Elements
View Profile

Message To: Sebrown18   In reference to Message Id: 2314980

Hello! I’m New!

We had the pleasure of finding the iggy in our Orange juice glass, and in our salad 100% focused on cucumber. It was pretty much like cocaine for the lil’ guy ... though i’m sure he shouldn’t have it. It was quite hilarious trying to pull an iguana from reaching his head into your mouth trying to "Bird feed" orange juice.

09/23/15  07:14pm

Sebrown18
View Profile

Message To: Elements   In reference to Message Id: 2314982

Hello! I’m New!

Thanks! I’m going to try giving him some cucumbers and maybe a little OJ to see how he takes to it!

Yesterday he sort of "almost" ate. He had a small bit of his food stuck to his face and he licked it off. He must have immediately realized it was delicious because he perked up and attempted to eat the small bit of food I place on the side of his water/bathing bowl. I think maybe he is just unsure of how to eat the food I give him due to the consistency.

I think he may be eating a tiny bit when I’m not around. He actually had a small bit of poop attached to urate and he’s not looking as thin as he has been.

I’ve also been wondering how to safely raise the humidity and heat in his terrarium, as I’m sure a lot of it escapes from the screen front. I’ve decided to use a clear shower curtain liner to cover the majority of the screen. Has anyone used this method before? Any advice or tips? I was looking into the under the tank heating pads but I’m not sure how safe they are or how well they’d work.

09/24/15  08:50am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Sebrown18   In reference to Message Id: 2314983

Hello! I’m New!

Wrapping the enclosure with a shower curtain form the dollar store is a great idea ... many folks do this until they can build a proper enclosure.
I use a humidifier... but they are 39.99 so that might be expensive for you. but if you can find one that fits your budget they work great.

Heating pads will cause your iggy to lay on the bottom ...because they like the warmth. Now it is possible to mount it on the side ..or top but you need to prevent heat from escaping out the opposite side ... to do that you actually cut a piece of cardboard slightly larger then the heat pad and attach the cardboard to the enclosure ...trapping the heat pad in between.

The best item to get is a ceramic heat element. It gets very warm and projects the heat downward from the lamp housing.
Here is a link to one online ... they are priced higher at pet co and retail stores ...e bay has them too...and AMAZON

CHE

09/24/15  10:58am

Sebrown18
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314991

Hello! I’m New!

Well, I came home to find Oswald dead yesterday... :(

I do plan to get another iguana.

09/26/15  08:34am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Sebrown18   In reference to Message Id: 2315012

Hello! I’m New!

sorry to hear that .. good luck next time ...try to rescue one from the animal shelter or the humane society. There are many out there that need a good home

09/28/15  02:35am

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area