Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fluffaloo   Takahiro111   Takahiro111   Cphill58   Fluffaloo   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Fluffaloo
View Profile

Iguana info Please?

Hi so I am planning on getting a baby blue iguana and so far I have read about mostly care. I know about the temperature, humidity ext... of what they need to live in and I know little bit about taming. One thing troubles me though. I was wondering how dangerous iguanas are, I really don’t want to be bit and get stitches but is that more common when adopting an older iguana. I have cats and dogs so I want them to be safe as well. Please I am a bit worried if there’s a chance that ill get a iguana and there will be no way to keep it without it causing me to get stitches at least one. Anyways I would really appreciate any info that you might know.

Thanks

07/28/15  10:07pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Fluffaloo   In reference to Message Id: 2314349

Iguana info Please?

if your worried about getting bit and stitches this isnt a pet for you. I got a red iggie as an adult and hes the worse whrn he wants to be especially during bbreeding season and the bbite isnt the only thing you should worry about....its also that tail that hurts like hell plus the spikes make it worse but their also gloves out there you can use but if i ever get bit from any of my pets its either a feeding response/mistake or its shedding.

07/30/15  06:40pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Fluffaloo   In reference to Message Id: 2314349

Iguana info Please?

if your worried about getting bit and stitches this isnt a pet for you. I got a red iggie as an adult and hes the worse whrn he wants to be especially during bbreeding season and the bbite isnt the only thing you should worry about....its also that tail that hurts like hell plus the spikes make it worse but their also gloves out there you can use but if i ever get bit from any of my pets its either a feeding response/mistake or its shedding.

07/30/15  06:41pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2314366

Iguana info Please?

we rescued a green iggy at approx 3-4 years old... she is very tame and only 1x when hand feeding a small food item did she ever nip me...no stitches..minor bleeding.

I baby sat a friends iggy for 2 weeks and it got behind the couch ...in my attempt to retrieve it, she got a little testy and bit me... again no stitches very minor bleeding from pin prick size but sharp teeth.

Our friend in San Diego has a wonderful tame iggy as well... and she adopted a very abused ragged ..extremely frightened adult ...it tries to bite all the time but after 2 years it is calming down and will allow petting and walks about the back yard are calm adventures.

So all in all you have to put in a lot of time and care ...gaining the trust you seek. With treats and lots of attention you can win the trust and heart of these amazing creatures. If you start young they can be just like human babies going through phases and learning curves. The terrible 2’s and rebellious teens ...breeding season...etc.

Males may tend to be more territorial and aggressive during breeding season ...or in regards to the enclosure. They tend to defend the space as their own.

The female may eventually lay eggs whether or not a male is present and that can be a stressful time.

If you are up for the challenge and exciting years ahead I wish you all the best...do not be afraid. Set aside some monies for vet visits and check ups 1x per year ...get a good exotic vet in your area.

Have more questions ...I pop in at least 2x per week or more.

Need a care and food chart ?
Go here...
GREEN IGGY SOCIETY

Need a good care sheet and more ...check out Melissa Kaplan, she has hundreds of sub links so feel free to get lost on her pages of endless reading.

Melissa Kaplan

Need good quality lighting??? See the following with links to many sources of WHY and HOW to.

MEGA RAY Lamps

Don’t hesitate to call the manufacture Bob Mac...he is most helpful and has iggy’s and other herps himself.

GOOD LUCK

08/01/15  07:59pm

Fluffaloo
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314406

Iguana info Please?

Thank you sooo much!

08/04/15  10:47pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Fluffaloo   In reference to Message Id: 2314467

Iguana info Please?