Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chevyhorse19   Cphill58   Chevyhorse19   Cphill58   Cphill58   Chevyhorse19   Chevyhorse19   Cphill58   Chevyhorse19   Cphill58   Chevyhorse19  

Member  Message

Chevyhorse19
View Profile

New iguana

I just got an iguana off a friend who raised it on crickets. He’s about a foot and a half long with tail. I’m giving him collard greens, tomatoes, green pepper, bananas and apples, however he doesn’t seem to eat much. Any other ideas? How much should an iguana eat everyday?

06/30/15  05:54pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Chevyhorse19   In reference to Message Id: 2314104

New iguana

Ok ... good that you are getting him off crickets. Protein is a big no no for a herbivore. They are like cows ... and they are not set up to digest protein.

Do not feed tomatoes unless a rare treat...all citrus / acidic foods are just a rare treat item. sure we have fed orange occasionally ... but not all the time.

Learn to understand a balanced diet... 2 to 1 calcium vs. Phosphorous , expressed like this in all food charts 2:1 ...always the calcium # first.

Fruits like apples and bananas although tasty are loaded with phosphorus... and you need to balance that out with grapes butternut squash and dark leafy greens. Collard greens are very good ... a spring mix salad offers variety. kale / endive/ dandelion greens and the flowers from your yard if insecticide free are fine... the grocery store sells the dandelion greens . They are expensive and the deteriorate fast ... so better just to pick some from outside.

here are 2 web sites that have food charts and values of many different things ...please read up and make a new shopping list for your new friend. grapes with or without seeds are great !! just break them open so it can chew them easily.

GREEN IGGY SOCIETY

The next site, although directed at the bearded dragon is a fantastic reference also...we use both lists to compare and shop ... by now we have memorized the basics.

Beautiful Dragons

Iguanas are a tropical lizard ...make sure it gets lots of moisture and water... even swimming in the tub or soaking at shoulder depth is a good thing. heat should never fall below 75 at night and as high as 90-95 during the day promotes good digestion and a good appetite.

Basking and cooling needs to be allowed so make sure it has plenty of room to move from a hot area into a shady area. Or away from the direct light.

Our female 4 ft long and 9-10 yrs old eats a big bowl of salad daily.... we take her outside and turn on the hose and she eats dandelions and mint in the yard. Sometimes she eats a bite of dirt as well ... just like birds it helps aid digestion and gives a source of minerals.

We also use a vitamin powder for reptiles sparingly 2x a week since her diet is really balanced anyway. Read about the vitamins here

melissa kaplan

She has a ton of info on iguanas as well... look at all her pages.

If the Iguana isn’t eating much it could be stressed out ... have parasites... and be ill... nervous... afraid and needing privacy. maybe some towels covering whatever will induce it to eat???

usually the tail is fat and thick with extra fat supplies of food ... and the belly is swollen to a normal but healthy looking amount. If you iguana is skinny and bones at the hip and ribs showing ... tail kinked and thin... deformed spine you may have a serious issue ... but with time and care can be corrected to a large degree.

happy to offer assistance if you ask

Cp

07/04/15  06:39pm

Chevyhorse19
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314154

New iguana

Awesome! I read tomatoes were okay to feed daily but now I know not to. He was in a 30 gallon tank. I immediately bought a 75 and just today I got him into an enclosure that’s about 4 feet high 2 feet deep and 4 feet long. He did not have a heat lamp from the previous owner so I got him a heat lamp. I just started sprinkling a calcium supplement that I use for my salamander on his food. He’s been climbing around in the new cage like crazy. Most active I’ve ever seen him. He does not have any spine deformities or anything like that luckily.

07/08/15  06:54pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Chevyhorse19   In reference to Message Id: 2314178

New iguana

I set my lights up above Maxine (in the picture) 36" higher than her basking pillow. I use a Mega Ray lamp that I buy from
reptileuv.com The one and only UVB lamp that I trust to last over a year and give me my monies worth.

I use a 275 watt so when the UVB reaches down 36" it is about 200 micro watts. If your iggy is all over the enclosure and climbing. 160 watt will reach 18" deep...100 watt will reach 12" deep. I would say for you 160 watt would be perfect. That way the iggy can get a strong dose or move to another area and lessen the dose of UVB as it decides.

Since you now have a 4 foot enclosure you also can purchase a stronger lamp and put it to good use. Mega Ray has 100 watt 160 and 275 watt and even more powerful for zoo keepers and pro’s. Bob Mac the owner will e mail you ...talk with you on the phone ...answer any questions you have , he is one of the best. Dont hesitate to read all his pages and see his short stupid videos and drop him a message. Even if you dont buy from him he will set you on the right path and educate you.

Iguanas require UVB to metabolize all the calcium you are feeding it into a blood chemical serum D3. Without UVB their bones will grow poorly, break easily and become deformed ...crippling the iguana in the long run.

So the basic things an iguana needs are Food...UVB... or sunlight....water...heat. Windows block UVB completely so there is not shortcut. Screen blocks 50% of UVB so keep that in mind.

You need to get a UVB lamp or get outside in the sun for at least 30 minutes a day if not longer. The lamp is a low factor of UVB around 100-200 micro watts of UVB. The sun screams 300-400 on a hot summer day and thus a shorter duration of exposure is required. In the wild they like to bask in the foliage of broken sunlight and not direct light.

Here is the website to get a great lamp at very reasonable cost.
Reptile UV

Look at the USA 120 volt products Self Ballasted ...SB = self ballast ...or internal ballast and no external parts are needed. Regular lamp base screws right in to a porcelain socket. Don’t move this lamp when it is on ... it can damage it and then it burns out prematurely.
USA 120v SB lamp

Ok ...Best of Luck

07/08/15  07:40pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314179

New iguana

07/08/15  07:44pm

Chevyhorse19
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314180

New iguana

Well now I feel awful because he has never had any type of uvb light. I bought a ceramic one recently for heat. He was being kept at about 65 degrees the whole time the other guy had him. Yikes! There’s definitely tons of information from that website you gave me about the uvb lights so I’m going to do a little bit of research before I order one. I don’t want to scorch the poor iguana or anything. I’ll try to upload a pic of the enclosure I have him in now too.

07/10/15  10:50am

Chevyhorse19
View Profile

Message To: Chevyhorse19   In reference to Message Id: 2314199

New iguana

Oh my gosh! I just spent over 200 bucks on lights and a humidifier for the iguana. I got the iguana for free but nothing is free! Lol

07/10/15  04:21pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Chevyhorse19   In reference to Message Id: 2314204

New iguana

LOL... I am so proud that you did in fact spend the money... trust me in a few weeks you wont miss it.

did you see my Humidifier set up???

check this thread

http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Iguanas/messages/2308643.html
Humidity for all

07/13/15  11:38am

Chevyhorse19
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314220

New iguana

Awesome! Well I didn’t get the little guy up to par in time. In Monday I ended up taking him to the vet because he was at the bottom of the cage when I got home from work. About 5 min later after I changed from my work clothes, he was on his back. I thought he was dead. I immediately (gently) picked him up and he couldn’t move his back legs or tail. I rushed him to the vet that took me as an emergency. They did an x ray and the vet cane back and said he had no bones. .. further explaining no calcium in his bones and he might have a slight fracture but they couldn’t tell because the bones were barely visible. He can now move his back legs and tail but it’s not pretty. At least he’s not paralyzed. After all was said and done at the vet, the vet gave me a calcium supplement, told me to put him in a tank with nothing in it and provide uv light at over 90 degrees on one side. So, I have him back in the 75, nothing in it and in between 90 to 95. The vet said he thinks he will be okay if I do everything right. I go back on the 27 for another x ray. I’m really hoping for improvement. Vet bill was a little over 200$. The next one will be about the same. On a good note, he is eating a lot now! He was barely eating the first two weeks I had him and now he eats a lot!

07/16/15  06:38pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Chevyhorse19   In reference to Message Id: 2314236

New iguana

Even thought the description is " No Bones" they are there.. just not enough calcium density to show up in an X ray. The Calcium Glubionate he gave you will do miracles ... Keep up the good work. My fingers are crossed.

07/17/15  09:57am

Chevyhorse19
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314247

New iguana

Yeah the vet explained it very well and showed me the x ray. I hope my little guy gets better seen! He still has his personality and eating very well so I have hope. I’ll know more the 27th!

07/17/15  05:22pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area