Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jj4ij   Cphill58   Jj4ij   CandiceAwesomePants   Cphill58   Jj4ij   Cphill58   Jj4ij   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Jj4ij
View Profile

Misinformation givin to me by vet...

My vet gave me a printout along with her verbally telling me about what to feed my iguana. Here it is:

The majority of their diet should consist of fresh vegetables (75-80%) and fruit (15-20%). Frozen or canned foods can be used occasionally if fresh foods are not available. The grater the variety of food consumed, the less likely deficiencies or excesses are to occur. Juvinal iguanas should be fed daily, while adults can be fed 3 to times a week. Be sure that foods are bite-sized for an iguana. Some acceptable food sources include collard, mustard, or trunip greens, alfalfa hay, or pellets, bok choy, kale parsley bell peppers, green beans, green peas, corn, okra, cactus, various squashes, sweet potato, most dark leafy vegetables, and small amounts of spinach, cabbage and broccoli (especially leaves and stems). Occasional flower petals (rose, dandelion, carnations, clover) and fruit (figs, papaya, raspberry, strawberry, etc) can be added to the diet. Again, variety is important. Iguanas are basically herbivorous (plant eating), though juveniles can be supplemented with a more concentrated protein source such as tofu, CHEESE, or occasional meat-based food items. Overfeeding protein, especially in an adult can burden the kidneys resulting in gout, phosphorus accumulation, and/or metabolic bone disease. Commercial iguana diets have not been scientifically proven, but are probably useful as a portion of the diet.
This I copied right from the page she gave me. Isn’t that a lot of mis information? There were other things too. She seemed nice, but her knowledge is not what I have read online.

01/23/15  06:34pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2312058

I wrote a long post ...clicked and it all disappeared.

Just take it with a grain of salt and maybe send the vet an email with some links to Green Ig Society and Melissa Kaplan

Melissa Kaaplan

Never feed protein or dairy...I admit I have fed weird treats like cherry pie and pizza crust ...because she literally jumped on the coffee table to get it... but a small amount and once in a great while wont hurt, as compared to a daily feeding of crickets or CHEESE???

I know before the internet and after many years of misleading info and premature deaths of the iguana sadly, they were fed an Omnivore diet.
However, new research shows the iguana will live into the 20’s when fed a herbivore diet.
It is finally established that iguanas are like cows and their stomachs are designed to eat vegetable matter and graze daily. Please offer food daily whether or not the iguana eats it is up to them.

I can tell you are going to be a great care giver ... GOOD JOB

01/24/15  07:46pm

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312069

Thanks..... I feed her twice daily, about a cup each time and she eats almost all of it. She eats practically every hour! I have been giving her collard greens and snap peas (which the vet did say has protein). Have also given some apples and bananas, which she doesn’t seem to care for the bananas, oh, and cantaloupe which she loves! Got some shredded carrots for her today. I will introduce more as time goes on. I think she will put her weight up. I feel better about her leg now that I know she will adapt, but I feel terribly sorry for her. Crazy how my day now revolves around her! I am looking forward to her growing big and strong! Thanks for the advice, sorry it took me so long to write back. I appreciate the vote of confidence.

01/26/15  06:21am

CandiceAwesomePants
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2312058

I’m always iffy about taking my iggy to a vet. The last time I went I knew more then the vet did! I had to drive 45 mins. to the closest vet. When I get there I know more then the vet! are you kidding me. I guess I just had a bad doctor. I hear they are great with reptiles but that was crazy!!

01/26/15  06:47am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: CandiceAwesomePants   In reference to Message Id: 2312080

OK JJ ...you said you have been on green ig society

Did you see the food charts??

I have others that are very informative as well

01/27/15  01:04am

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312088

Yes, and I am providing the correct diet.

01/27/15  11:41am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2312091

OK but for your Library of information save the following site

Beautiful Dragons

01/28/15  10:00am

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312101

I went to the site but it is different from what the iguana site says. She is an iguana not a bearded dragon. I guess most of it is the same, but some of it is different. Thanks for the advice though.

01/28/15  01:59pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2312103

Yes of course the site is for Bearded dragons ...but the food charts and the Calcium to phos ratios are what is most important ...Many veggies there can be consumed by all reptiles ....not just bearded dragons...and we humans can eat them too
Nom Nom
Also the other pages have info on health .... same MBD issues that affect the BD also affect the iggy... cross over the same remedies.

01/28/15  06:03pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area