Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jj4ij   Cphill58   Jj4ij   Cphill58   Jj4ij   CandiceAwesomePants   Jj4ij  

Member  Message

Jj4ij
View Profile

Question on temp and humidity.

Ok, I am wondering how important it is to keep an iguana in a really humid environment. I am reading that a LOT of people let their iguanas free roam, isn’t it impossible to have them at a really high humidity level if they are just roaming around your house? I am having a very hard time keeping my humidity level regulated. I have to go and mist her very frequently to keep the gauge even at the 50 range. And I have my heat regulated at about 80 but I cannot get it any higher. Is this a problem? She seems quite happy, eating fine. One more thing is that I got a heating pad for under the bottom and she lays on the bottom of the tank right above the pad. Is that bad? She even borrowed to the very bottom so she is laying right on it. I don’t think it is hot enough to burn her, but I liked it better when she stayed up on her log. Is all of this ok?

01/21/15  06:04am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2311980

Get the temp gun and after you get some accurate measurements then we can go from there... But yes 80 F is too low

And yes Humidity is a common issue for all of us unless we live in the south or a jungle. We do the best we can and 60-70% is great but in my free roam situation near impossible. But the immediate area which she basks in 70-80% of the day is quite humid as you might see from my other post.

Get a humidifier and direct the mist towards the enclosure... or get a damp towel and micro wave it. creating a spa sauna effect inside for a few hours.

If the top is open consider closing off some of the screen with foil ...or another damp towel.

01/22/15  12:02am

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311995

Great Ideas!!!!! I will try the towel on top of the tank!!!!! What is a temp gun and how much are they? Sounds like it would be a lot... I am thinking it takes digital readings like an ear thermometer? As far as the temp... it won’t go any higher than 80. I have a heating pad under the tank and my electric radiator heater next to the tank. I think my thermometer and humidity gages are off! I need a more accurate reading.

01/22/15  05:07am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2312001

If you are basing your measurements on tape or gauges stuck to the glass those are extremely inaccurate. I will post the link for the temp gun again

Temp Gun

The first one I purchased way back in 2006 is still working just fine.
I also have one of these before I knew any better...not bad... just higher priced

reptile basics

Same unit even more from the manufacture
Tempgun.com

01/23/15  01:40am

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312017

Thank you! I will be getting one of them.

01/23/15  02:17pm

CandiceAwesomePants
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2311980

My iguana is in a cage I just mist her she loves getting in the bath so I put her in the tub about every 3 days and she’s fine by misting and bathing her. She does her business in the tub. Makes it so much easier!

01/26/15  07:00am

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: CandiceAwesomePants   In reference to Message Id: 2312081

Thanks for all of the advice! I get some really great ideas here!

01/27/15  12:11pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area