Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jj4ij   Iggy14   Jj4ij   Iggy14   Cphill58   Jj4ij   Cphill58   Cphill58   Jj4ij   Cphill58   Jj4ij  

Member  Message

Jj4ij
View Profile

Iguana laying where she poops

My new iguana that is 6 or 7 months old (or so I have been told when I got her) is laying in the spot where she poops! I just got her 4 days ago and she looks great, good color, seems very tame, lets you hold her and even seems to love being pet. She laid on the top of her log under where the light is for the first three nights. Last night we put her on the floor and noticed that her left front arm might be broke. (I scheduled a vet apt for tomorrow.) When we put her back in her enclosure she went to the bottom of the cage where the heat pad is (underneath) and laid down. This morning she woke up when I turned on the light and she climbed over the branch and ate, looking really good. Then when she was done she went back under the log and laid back down. She is laying right where she poops! Is this a bad sign????? She seems pretty happy to me, but maybe a little laid back.

01/20/15  01:30pm

Iggy14
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2311972

First off I hope your ig is ok with that leg of hers! Also I’ve read that when you see iguana poop anywhere in the cage to remove it immediately. My guess is it helps with cleaning the cage properly and keeping it clean and tidy. I know my iguana climbs onto the grating on the top of his cage to get closer to his light. (He does have plenty of basking spots in case you’re wondering.) My guess is your iguana is just enjoying the heat pad. Finally I am not sure if heat pads are the same as heat rocks, but heat rocks tend to burn your iguana, so if I were you I’d look into the heat pad. Again not entirely sure if it will burn your iguana, but it wouldn’t hurt to research a bit on that.

01/21/15  10:32pm

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Iggy14   In reference to Message Id: 2311988

I did look up about the heat pad. Doesn’t say anything about burns and iguanas. It is on the outside of the tank on the bottom. I hope it is safe. She seems ok. I do clean her poop as soon as she goes. I was horrified when she first went..... wasn’t expecting that! It was quite huge! It cannot stay in the tank! Now, after I clean it up she goes and lays where it was..... Nasty! Not to her though. Thanks for your response!

01/21/15  11:00pm

Iggy14
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2311991

You’re certainly welcome!

01/21/15  11:06pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Iggy14   In reference to Message Id: 2311992

Have you measured the temps of the heat pad radiating through the bottom? Or the temps of the heat from the lamp.
You can do this with an inexpensive TEMP GUN from Harbor Freight

Temp gun

Hold the temp gun right on the surface you wish to measure and press the button.... you can even measure skin temps and many other surfaces.

If you find the temps higher on the heat pad area you might consider raising the lamp temps and lowering the heat pad temps so she basks instead of lays on the area where the pad is.

You can also fasten the pad to the side of the enclosure and tape some styrofoam over the heat pad so the heat radiates inward instead of escaping from the exposed side.

Moving the heat pad may also encourage the iggy to lay over the heated area and now that it has established a pooping spot move to that area to defecate. They are very much like a cat and can train themselves to go in 1 area.

Try switching some stuff around and see what happens.

Heat pads are quite safe compared to a heat rock inside the tank / enclosure...so good for you on that note.

01/21/15  11:44pm

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311993

Thank you. Those are all great ideas and I am relieved to hear that the heat pads are better than the heat rocks. Putting the pad on the side of the tank is a wonderful idea... but can I unstick it and re use it? I am going to try some re arranging today! I will let you know how it goes.

01/22/15  05:11am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2312002

I was afraid you might ask that question... I never "stick " the heat pads on, I always tape or do the styrofoam sandwich. Because I know that later I might want to transfer that heat pad somewhere else. I have removed them with great care and managed not to damage them... but i know that if I do damage it I will have to replace it. The fine wire inside breaks and the unit wont heat up again.

A blow dryer on the high setting might help to remove it

Geeez I recently went to get some supplies and my retail pet store prices have sure gone up over the years for those heat pads. Might go online and see if you can get a better price. I only use the 4 or 8 watt small ones.

01/23/15  01:30am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312016

With regards to the lamp, The Home Depot sells a 4 pack of PAR 38 75 watt flood lights for 18.97 They fit in any standard lamp socket... however a porcelain socket will never melt from the heat.
Just your typical flood lamp that you use in a backyard or security light.

They will get the temps up very nicely and you can lower the temp from the lamp with a LAMP DIMMER sold at ( my favorite store) THD

Lamp dimmer

Like an extension cord with a sliding control ...allows you to adjust the intensity and thus the temperature of the lamp. Also works on heat pads and many other applications.

Here is an image of the Flood lamp ...although I cant find the 4 pack on the Home Depot site this is what it looks like exactly on AMAZON... for reference

72 watt par 38 flood

I do like 125 watt chicken brood lamps as well My tack and feed store sells them for about 5-6 each and they last forever.

chicken brood lamp

01/23/15  02:00am

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312018

I have the correct lights. I have figured out that if I turn the heat pad off during the day when I turn on the heat lamp she comes up and goes on the log. She still is laying on the heat pad..... where she no longer poops at night. Which I am ok with. We are working things out! Took her to the vet today and all is ok. She seems to have had a broken arm in the past and it has healed incorrectly. It will have to remain that way, so, she is officially handicap. She will probably never be able to climb very well and I will have to make sure that she doesn’t fall from thing since she is clumbsy and loses her balance easily. Possible the vet said that she will adjust well and be better off than I think. I am happy about it all. She is a little under weight but that doesn’t concern me because I just got her Saturday so it hasn’t even been a week, but she is eating a lot. I am sure she will gain weight.

01/23/15  02:15pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2312048

Thats great news about the vet check up ....and yes , you would be surprised at how well they adapt with malformed limbs and lack of toe nails etc. They are simply amazing ...after all they have been here for 100’s of thousands of years.

I can tell that you are going to be a great care giver, the mere fact that the iggy is eating so well is a statement in itself.

Wish you all the best

Chris

01/24/15  07:15pm

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312067

Thank you!

01/24/15  07:32pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area