Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jj4ij   Cphill58   Jj4ij  

Member  Message

Jj4ij
View Profile

Just got a rescue Iguana and I think her arm is broken

I just got a rescue iguana two days ago and she is so sweet and tame. She lets you hold her, eats wonderfully, her color is great. She seems so happy and content but tonight when we took her out of her cage and put her on the floor she is favoring her left front arm and dragging it along as she walks. She doesn’t seem in pain even if you touch it, but it looks so painful to me to look at it. I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow. I am hoping it is ok, and hasn’t been like this for a long time. I hope they can reset it and it is not forever like this. I had no idea there was even a problem. I feel so bad.

01/19/15  10:47pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jj4ij   In reference to Message Id: 2311964

Get the vet to do x rays ... of course. And check the bone density ( professional eyes and opinion) If there is a calcium deficiency it may be mild or serious. A blood panel/ test will reveal the iggys calcium levels in the blood stream. ( more money) over and above the check up.

The vet will prescribe a pumped up dose of calcium glubionate if the calcium levels are severely low. But that can be made at home as well.... Or you can go to the following web site and learn a lot more about heating / lighting/ food and health.

One of the sites is for bearded dragons but all of the information can easily cross over to the Iguana ...except the carnivore food items. So read read read and soak it all in

Green Iggy Society

Nutrition chart

Please see as many of the pages as you can in the health sections you will see many articles and the Lighting sections.

01/22/15  12:16am

Jj4ij
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311996

Thank you so much! I have already joined the Green Iguana Society and read everything they have to offer. I have been all over the internet, hours and hours of reading! I appreciate any information though. I am very concerned about her. We go to the vet tomorrow. I will report what they say.

01/22/15  01:29pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area