Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mrsrandall91   Silvermarmot   Mrsrandall91   Silvermarmot   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Mrsrandall91
View Profile

!!!!PLEASE READ AND HELP!!!

Hello, I just got my baby iguana a week ago at a reptile expo and when i got him i noticed what looked like shed on his foot,leg and head. His shed on his foot and leg i dont think is shed anymore.. its developed this bulb looking spot on it.. im really concerned. He doesnt favor it or anything so i dont think it hurts but does anyone have any idea what this is??
Thanks for your time,
Nikki

01/19/15  08:19pm

Silvermarmot
View Profile

Message To: Mrsrandall91   In reference to Message Id: 2311958

Is the spot hard? When we rescued our iguana he had a few patches that looked like this and were very hard. It turned out to be many layers of stuck shed from the poor conditions he’d been in before. We rubbed coconut oil on the spots every day and misted the tank pretty heavily and over about a week the spots softened and came off in layers when we would rub the oil on them. He shed just fine right after that without any special help.

If it’s not really hard or doesn’t start to soften with a couple days of attention I would take him to a vet asap.

01/19/15  08:52pm

Mrsrandall91
View Profile

Message To: Silvermarmot   In reference to Message Id: 2311959

I’ll have to check if it’s hard. I read to give them space for two weeks after you get them and it’s been one. He’s pretty skiddish, I hope it’s nothing serious. Thanks for replying.

01/19/15  09:28pm

Silvermarmot
View Profile

Message To: Mrsrandall91   In reference to Message Id: 2311960

Yeah, ideally you should leave them alone as much as possible and let them get used to you because they stress easily, but if something is wrong a little handling might be necessary- better a little stress now than a major health problem later. Try to keep minimal interaction and approach slowly (preferably with something to eat-when in doubt food bribery usually helps) from eye level since predators usually come from above try not to reach from above. If at all possible don’t take it out of the enclosure. If you have to take it out I would make sure you’re by a warm window and have a tasty treat to lessen the stress.

01/19/15  09:41pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Silvermarmot   In reference to Message Id: 2311961

Baby oil and even Olive oil or vegetable oil will work nicely ... dont be shy ... calmly and firmly pick him up and apply oil to him liberally in the areas of concern. Might as well make a small container just for him so you don’t contaminate your food stuffs. Personally I like a bit of olive oil ala Iguana...lol

Stuck shed is the easiest to take care of...just takes numerous days or a week or 2 to release depending on the severity. Plenty of baths will also help...if you can manage a damp towel in the enclosure that helps too
... micro wave it and make it quite warm it will cool off quickly but the moist air and the heat will make great humidity for awhile.

If it seems to be getting worse then seek an exotic vet who is familiar with iguanas to check for an abscess

Good Luck

01/22/15  12:27am

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area