Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

JamieRuiz   Takahiro111   JamieRuiz   JamieRuiz   CandiceAwesomePants   Cphill58   JamieRuiz   Cphill58   Tempestborn   Cphill58   Tempestborn   Laylo919   Tempestborn   Laylo919   Tempestborn   Wyland2222   Jaydsr2887   GoodWitchoftheNorth   Jaydsr2887   Wyland2222   ERTHFREND   CandiceAwesomePants  

Member  Message

JamieRuiz
View Profile

My Iguanas Fromt Claws Are Missing!!!

I went to give her a bath today and she usually climbs up my arms with ease to get higher up, and I didn’t really feel them. I just thought they were filed down from her tree. So like 10 min after her bath and me drying her off, she was sitting in my lap relaxing when she put her from hands on me and I looked I didn’t see her claws and so I looked closer and they haven’t been there in awhile except one looks like it was pulled out. Is it maybe because she digs at walls and floor of cage a lot? Please I need help why she would do this!

09/11/13  11:00pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: JamieRuiz   In reference to Message Id: 2301071

I’m not sure how it happened this is my first time hearing about something like this but if their scratching at their terrarium it’s either too small or they want to free roam the house/room but keep it disinfected with bedadine not perioxide because it can damage the scales and healing process.

09/13/13  10:21pm

JamieRuiz
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2301109

Ok thank you, I hope this helps

09/17/13  12:52pm

JamieRuiz
View Profile

Message To: JamieRuiz   In reference to Message Id: 2301183

This picture is front without claws.

This picture is with claws back

Is there a way for them to grow back or will they grow back?

09/17/13  12:58pm

CandiceAwesomePants
View Profile

They will grow back just give them some time

09/24/13  10:43am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: CandiceAwesomePants   In reference to Message Id: 2301317

Candice , you are mistaken...I dont know where you get your info ??

They will not grow back...this is usually the result of catching on wire or loop pile carpet or improper shedding and lack of circulation to the toe/ claw and thusly getting pulled out from activity on screen/ metal/ plastic...or falling off due to the lack of circulation from stuck shed.

During the shedding process it always helps to bathe the iggy and watch the ankle , for lack of better description, and when it turns white/ grey mist it daily until it shed easily with minor assistance. It’s like peeling your sunburned skin....at the right time it just peels away.

09/28/13  03:01am

JamieRuiz
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2301388

I’ve done this but ill show pictures I’ve misted and bather her about 5-6 times a week and mist daily and I can get off back legs, base of tail and on right neck/cheek I need help I’ve had iguanas before and never had this problem. She been eating right until a few days ago. She eats a littles but that’s it.

She just got done with a bath and she’s like not acting like herself usually she fights me and acts kingpd of feisty today she’s not I don’t want her to die :( :’(

10/02/13  11:51pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: JamieRuiz   In reference to Message Id: 2301500

Get some baby oil ...slather her back sides and tail with it...go to an animal shelter / tack and feed store and get a large plastic syringe to feed animals...(no needle) just a a plunger and tip that is big enough to feed the iggy a slurry of veggies...use a blender and add water ...add some honey to sweeten..

Use collard greens and mustard greens from WALMART @ .99 per bunch...make a smoothie...add fruit of any kind...apples...bananas...grapes...cantaloupe...(no seeds) ...make enough for a couple of days and refrigerate the left overs..If you have any pets stores around you ask for CRITICAL CARE for herbivores...not carnivores. It is a powder food source you add water...our vet issues it to us when we have an emergency. Add it to the smoothie if you can find it or order it online

Wrap the iggy in a towel and have someone assist you ...firmly grasp the iggy behind the nostrils on the bony structure of the head pull up gently but firmly...pull down on the dewlap and have your assistant insert the syringe towards the hinges of the jaw and gently squirt some food into the back of the throat...if you are lucky the iggy will lap it up after a few feedings ...have an additional towel ready because it is like feeding a baby messy. But the iggy will eat in this manner. It’s easy once you see how to open the iggys mouth...

Raise temps to 95-100 F basking...75 at night and maybe 80 if you can. Allow the iggy enough space to move away from the daytime heat if need be.

It’s late fall...iggys are going into breeding season they slow down and sometimes lose their appetite due to egg production...but this one needs assist feeding. Females will produce eggs with or without a male present...males will get aggressive and defensive / territorial ;possibly attacking the people around it.

We have the 60 cc syringe but online they are crazy high prices..So here is the 35cc

35 cc

60 cc

apple banana critical care

What do you feed her now ???What has she eaten in the past???

10/04/13  01:31am

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2301517

ah, arguing with chris again. i feel warm and fuzzy. remember the water dragon you told me couldn’t grow his tail back? ruby ripped almost all her front claws out with her frantic digging two breeding seasons ago. it took over a year for them to even start growing back, but they are full-sized now. she is still missing a couple, but i imagine they’ll show up eventually. never tell an iguana what it can’t do.

jesse

10/15/13  12:41pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2301706

Funny no one replies except the ghosts from the past...lol

Hi jesse , I bet ya you are 1 in 100 that had the toe nails grow back, as far as the tail goes they do re generate to a degree as far as I know, at least with iguanas...even MAxine has a old tail regrowth. But her nails from over 3-4 years ago have not come back...I wish I had rescued her earlier.

10/16/13  06:48pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2301731

we could call it a good, solid "maybe."

jesse

10/19/13  06:47pm

Laylo919
View Profile

iguanas who constantly scratch and dig at the cage are good indicators that the environment is too small, uncomfortable, or she is bored and wants out. when you see her doing that, try to make time to take her out and play.

02/23/14  10:35pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Laylo919   In reference to Message Id: 2303765

good advice, laylo. my ruby’s front claws are gone again, but i assume they will regenerate, as long as she hasn’t managed to completely rip them out. she does it every year.

jesse

02/25/14  08:37am

Laylo919
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2303781

Spike did the same. she is missing a few front claws. letting her out more has helped with the digging.

02/26/14  01:48am

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Laylo919   In reference to Message Id: 2303796

in ruby’s case it was being gravid that made her dig like that.

jesse

02/26/14  08:52am

Wyland2222
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2303803

Another blast from the past here :D. I almost wish my iggy’s nails also would fall out or get knocked out, maybe then I would not get scratched up so badly :D. I don’t think the lack of nails is a problem and if your is acting fine in every other way, I would not worry.
Trish

02/27/14  12:30pm

Jaydsr2887
View Profile

Message To: Wyland2222   In reference to Message Id: 2303827

does your iggy have a nesting box? couldbe breeading season and be digging as it comes natural to them that part of the year......

03/09/14  07:50pm

GoodWitchoftheNorth
View Profile

Hi, just read you interesting and lively posts! About the claws growing back - or not, my ig Sirius has lost several nails over the years and they have always grown back within a couple of month’s time. He’s about 11 years old, had him since he was about three. Wonder if it matters about the background. A rescued ig may not have had the nutritional background to sustain growing back claws...hhhmmmmm?

03/11/14  08:05pm

Jaydsr2887
View Profile

Message To: GoodWitchoftheNorth   In reference to Message Id: 2304003

I also think it would matter on how deep the wound is too like if it is so deep into the nail that it gets the I guess you can say cudical (blood vessels) part of the nail and its badly damaged, it would have trouble (if at all) grow back....

03/17/14  08:28pm

Wyland2222
View Profile

Message To: Jaydsr2887   In reference to Message Id: 2304102

Back again and guess what, now my iggy’s missing some of her rear claws and I know it is from climbing up and down in her cage, she does it all the time! Sooooooo I will just wait and see if Chris (Cypill58) or Jesse (Tempestborn) is right
Trish

03/24/14  07:37am

ERTHFREND
View Profile

Hello dear it is common for them to hook their claws on things in our environment and they try to pull away and out comes the whole claw. They will grow back watch for bleeding no worries momma it is natural for them to come out when they pull. they do however eventually regenerate

10/25/14  03:49pm

CandiceAwesomePants
View Profile

The vet told me that thanks. Mine grew back just fine.

01/26/15  07:10am

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area