Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alxbz   Pedroyanna   Mei   Aclinton13   Alxbz   Rach157971   Rexxaroo   Eljn   JenGore1984   JenGore1984  

Member  Message

Alxbz
View Profile

Skin condition, mites??

Houdini got this blackish area, I didn’t think much of it at first and it eventually started healing, but as soon as one started healing a second back area started forming. The 2nd area is healing now it looks like a 3rd one is starting up, not sure what it could be. Doesn’t show any signs of being sick and eats normally here are some pics.

this is how it looked when it first appeared.

This is the first affected area after some shedding.

This is the 2nd area as of today.

The 2 black spots closer to the tail under the white area is where I believe a third area is forming.

Not sure what it could be. I do forget to mist his cage sometimes but he does get a bath daily. If anyone has any idea of what it is i’d appreciate it.

04/17/13  06:26pm

Pedroyanna
View Profile

Message To: Alxbz   In reference to Message Id: 2295811

Skin condition, mites??

How close can he get to the lights?

04/17/13  08:50pm

Mei
View Profile

Skin condition, mites??

http://www.anapsid.org/blackskin.html please check this link out if any of those apply to your iggy this might help take care of the problem

04/17/13  08:52pm

Aclinton13
View Profile

Message To: Mei   In reference to Message Id: 2295821

Skin condition, mites??

Is there any other knowledge of blackening that isn’t due to a dirty cage or poor condition’s that isn’t a short term blacking? I have recently seen a baby iguana that is slowing getting more and more black scales, that is in a perfect habitat that is mostly big enough (2ftx3ftx4ft) with proper heat and UVB and humidity. It is possibly it is a psychological stress, but I have no idea what could cause that as all conditions are met and there aren’t any large noises or other distractions.

04/22/13  11:12pm

Alxbz
View Profile

Message To: Mei   In reference to Message Id: 2295821

Skin condition, mites??

@Pedroyanna He can get about 3-4 inches from the lights. I don’t think they are burns though, because he would have to climb upside down to touch the metal mesh and if it were burns they would be on his stomach or arms/legs. and the bulb I was using then was only 90W and I’ve now changed it to 100W.

@Mei Thank you for that link! I think I was neglectful of the cages temperatures since I was using a 90w bulb for a while, and there had been some colder weather. I’ve since gotten a 100w bulb and since temperatures have risen to 90+ here in California I’ve been putting him outside to bask. His cage is pretty clean as he always poops in the bathtub unless I skip a day(busy day). He has newspaper substrate, and I change his water every 2-3 days.

I want to clean his cage inside and out with some sort of disinfectant, just to be sure. Do you are anyone know of a safe way to clean the entire cage that wont require more than a day and will get rid of any bacteria etc?

hopefully the spots won’t start appearing again or off to the vet! Thank you again for that link.

05/03/13  03:48pm

Rach157971
View Profile

Skin condition, mites??

I would recommend a vet check. That is very odd.

05/29/13  05:35pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Rach157971   In reference to Message Id: 2297881

Skin condition, mites??

This post is a bit old, but have you tried using dish soap (Dawn) diluted with water or vinegar/water solution?
Both are perfectly safe and will disinfect thoroughly :)
I’ve had great success with is when cleaning my animals enclosures.
Good luck!

Rexx

05/29/13  09:18pm

Eljn
View Profile

Skin condition, mites??

I think my iguana has the same problem with yours. Could you tell me if you found out the problem and how you healed it.. thanks in advance.

12/10/14  12:40pm

JenGore1984
View Profile

Message To: Alxbz   In reference to Message Id: 2296751

Skin condition, mites??

Peroxide and white vinegar is a real good and safe cleaning agent for iguana cages. DO NOT MIX! Use 2 separate spray bottles for both. You can spray each on together or use one and wipe off then use the other and wipe off. However you want to do it. I spray mine on together. Make sure you don’t mix them in one bottle for it may explode. I’m not sure. Keep separate to be on the safe side.

03/28/17  11:34am

JenGore1984
View Profile

Message To: Alxbz   In reference to Message Id: 2296751

Skin condition, mites??

Peroxide and white vinegar is a real good and safe cleaning agent for iguana cages. DO NOT MIX! Use 2 separate spray bottles for both. You can spray each on together or use one and wipe off then use the other and wipe off. However you want to do it. I spray mine on together. Make sure you don’t mix them in one bottle for it may explode. I’m not sure. Keep separate to be on the safe side.

03/28/17  11:35am

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area