Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Curt1994   Mrs.Bonsell   Tempestborn   Curt1994   Mich_01   Yayabel1   Dragon Lover   Curt1994  

Member  Message

Curt1994
View Profile

Help!

Okay I think the owner I got my iguana from was feeding it strictly lettuce which is terrible. So I went our and bought some healthy stuff for the poor guy and now he won’t eat it but if I give him some lettuce hell mower down what should I do .

07/18/12  02:18pm

Mrs.Bonsell
View Profile

Message To: Curt1994   In reference to Message Id: 2273815

Help!

Maybe mix some letuce in with the new stuff. See if he will try it that way.

07/18/12  02:33pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Mrs.Bonsell   In reference to Message Id: 2273819

Help!

mrs. b has it--mix about half and half good stuff and as he becomes more willing to eat new things you’ll be able to cut the lettuce down and then out. hand-feeding is an option, too. often an iguana will try a new food if it is offered by someone s/he trusts.

jesse

07/18/12  03:19pm

Curt1994
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2273821

Help!

Yes he lives eating out of my hand but only kik the sweet stuff such as raseberry and Bananas I’ll give that ago. Thanks guys!

07/18/12  04:06pm

Mich_01
View Profile

Message To: Curt1994   In reference to Message Id: 2273823

Help!

Melissa Kaplan is a highly respected ig expert, if you google her name you’ll get all sorts of great info off her site, her book is amazing too and great to have on hand as a quick resource.

http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/index.html
In her book she recommends feeding just the good stuff, she says they wont starve with fresh food around and will eventually chop up their greens as fast as you put them in there, she has apparently been able to get the most stubborn ig to eat this way ...... although I fully admit I’ve never tried it myself. My rescued ig was fed a terrible diet of basic kitchen scrap veggies but he very happily accepted the right dark leafy stuff right away *phew* Each ig to their own :)

07/20/12  09:31pm

Yayabel1
View Profile

Message To: Mich_01   In reference to Message Id: 2274090

Help!

i had the same issue with my iguana when i first got him. just alittle background i rescued "dexter" about 7 months ago and he was only about 38 inches long and didnt want to eat anything. what i did was i still fed it to him anyways i did one type of green a day and i brought everything lol and then i incorporated one veggie and one fruit to get him to try different food and after about a month i would say he eats everything!!! if you go to green iguana society website they have a great spot where they tell you all about the different food to feed and not feed. Dexter loves wheat bread as a treat too. and now he eats me out of house and home lol i prep his food weekly and i have 2 bowls for his greens which i put like one bowl with arugula and collard greens and then the other bowl i might put turnip greens and watercress then i do one bowl of his veggies which i usually shred 3 veggies ex okra, parsnip n spaghetti squash and then i just do a fruit each day. i hope this helps

07/21/12  01:07am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Yayabel1   In reference to Message Id: 2274119

Help!

Our guys will still get lettuce mixed in with the good greens every once in a while for a treat. it’s not bad to feed, it’s just bad when it’s the only thing offered because it lacks so many nutrients.

Edel

07/21/12  01:41pm

Curt1994
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2274155

Help!

Yah he has started to eat again quick I think it was because he was stressed for the move thanks everyone tho!

07/21/12  02:55pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area