Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Audib30   Mrs.Bonsell   Really   Audib30   Audib30   Audib30   Olesen   Audib30   Mrs.Bonsell   Cphill58   Audib30   Really   Audib30  

Member  Message

Audib30
View Profile

Hello!

Hi there!

I recently joined this AWESOME community and wanted to officially introduce myself!! I have been caring for lizards since 2005 with my experience lying with CWD’s ( I started with my sweet Killerbelle who is no longer here, and Vanderson, my mama’s boy) but I rescued a darling iguana from a horrid person who is friends with my boyfriend’s sister. We have had Zelda since March 2nd and it has been the best choice I ever made. I had done a lot of research on iguanas and had planned to get one eventually but not anytime soon. When I found out her situation and my very large available tank I had got by chance at the same time I knew it was fate. She came very malnourished, scared to death, and missing a good 3 inches of her tail (which I later found in the filthy mess of tiny tank she was in:/ ) She had made an HUGE improvement and becomes more trusting everyday. I can’t believe how fast she is growing and will need to get her room ready sooner than I thought! :) Her tail now looks to be close to the length it would be if it was never injured. I am also relieved at how forgiving Vanderson has been for bringing in another lizard into his domain. Although they do not interact with each other ( for both their safety, of course) they are aware of each other and seem to have the same curiosity from a far, and that’s how mama is going to keep it!! ;) I am having trouble uploading pictures so I am attempting to post some links... :)

Autumn, Zelda, and VandersonzeldaZelda2Vanderson

07/13/12  11:50pm

Mrs.Bonsell
View Profile

Message To: Audib30   In reference to Message Id: 2273237

Hello!

Welcome! I recently became an iguana owner (again, after many years) out of nowhere too. Busy building my Ella a huge cage and just spoiling the crap out of her. She’s a wonderful addition to our little zoo here lol

07/14/12  12:59am

Really
View Profile

Message To: Mrs.Bonsell   In reference to Message Id: 2273248

Hello!

Welcome! We crave pictures around here so I hope you will post some soon!

By now, I’m sure you have learned that tank and iguana don’t go well in the same sentence -- even the largest tank is only a temporary enclosure. One other bad thing about tanks is that you have to come at the iguana from overhead and that always freaks them out. Still, most people start out with tanks as their iguanas’ first temporary home.

Congratulations on the tail growing back so well!

07/14/12  01:15am

Audib30
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2273250

Hello!

Yep, for now Zelda is in a tank that is 3ft high, 4ft long, and 1.8ft wide. We decked it out pretty good and boy does she love it after the gross thing she was in before! It is in her own bedroom, which we will be converting to a space for her. As she is still adjusting to us, we let her come out and investigate our apartment and she does a walk through and then goes right back in her tank, lol. I am glad she feels safe and secure in it. I always come and sit on the floor so I am not hovering over (it has a sliding front door which is great) so I can be level with her. You have to be very steady and bring you hand close to her face first and not down by her tail because of how she was previously handled. The person who had her used to snatch her up and scare the crap out of her. I am guessing that they grabbed her tail one time and that is how it came off, but I really do not know. She also had no uvb light and was only fed iceberg lettuce :( I am so glad she happily ate all the greens and veggies we offer her right away. That really helped us with the fast tail growth. I couldn’t believe how fast it came once it started. I am going to work on getting some before and after photos up here!

07/14/12  07:57am

Audib30
View Profile

Message To: Audib30   In reference to Message Id: 2273265

Hello!

This shows Zelda’s tail when we brought her home

These next ones are her now 4 months later! :)

07/14/12  12:44pm

Audib30
View Profile

Message To: Audib30   In reference to Message Id: 2273278

Hello!

Here are some more now that I got my photos to work!!

She loves her hammock!!

just hanging out

This is one of the older ones, a pretty girl but glad she’s put more weight on!

07/14/12  12:57pm

Olesen
View Profile

Message To: Audib30   In reference to Message Id: 2273282

Hello!

what a beauty :) her tail looks really good.

07/14/12  01:17pm

Audib30
View Profile

Message To: Olesen   In reference to Message Id: 2273286

Hello!

Thank you! She’s my little princess :)

07/14/12  01:23pm

Mrs.Bonsell
View Profile

Message To: Audib30   In reference to Message Id: 2273288

Hello!

She has such beautiful coloring!

07/14/12  02:07pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mrs.Bonsell   In reference to Message Id: 2273296

Hello!

Ohhh you have done so well with her....congrats !! and welcome....

We usually load photos to a free photo server (Photo Bucket)...and then link them here , but I see you figured it out.

She is sooo lucky to have found you ....I started with CWD too...sadly they are not as sturdy as some species and as I was also rescuing the guy , he finally succumbed to the infections and my Visa couldn’t fix it.

Glad you found a good place to call home....just shout for help anytime

Chris

07/14/12  03:49pm

Audib30
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2273313

Hello!

Thank you Chris! This place has so much great information and fellow reptile lovers!! Just by reading old posts I have gained so much knowledge that will help me be a better lizard mommy! :)

07/14/12  04:26pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Audib30   In reference to Message Id: 2273323

Hello!

Zelda is beautiful I’m so excited that she will have her own room!

07/15/12  10:30pm

Audib30
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2273485

Hello!

Thank you! I am very excited to start planning out her room! :)

07/19/12  08:39pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area