Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Milan   Really   Really   Milan   Milan   Really   Really   Milan   Really   Really   Milan   Really   Really   Really   Milan   Milan   Really   Milan   Really   Milan   Really   Tempestborn   Milan   Milan   Really  

Member  Message

Milan
View Profile

Susan I need you and your hubby’s help

My dad found this little guy trapped at the bottom of the stairs to the basement at the bean house a few min ago. I need an I’d so I know what to do with him. I know he’s not Andes turtle since he doesn’t have flippers and he’s a hatchling. He’s def aquatic though but I don’t want to through him in he ocean if he doesn’t belong there and I don’t want I just let him go because we have a dead baby sea turtle in the back yard who couldn’t find his way back to the ocean. And ideas. He’s so cute and super fast!

05/31/12  12:51pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268287

It might be a map turtle but I am going to defer to my husband. By the shape of the shell, I am thinking it is at least a fresh water turtle. I’m not waiting for your permission but just coping the picture and sending it to him because it will be faster than trying to get him to the site. He’s coming home early today so hopefully he hasn’t left work yet and will quickly check his email.

05/31/12  12:54pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268289

Oh, and can you possibly send a picture of the underside ASAP?

05/31/12  12:57pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268290

I’ll see what I can do. I’m thinking map turtle also. Possibly a cagles. Let me get a pic

05/31/12  01:16pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268291

Here ya go

We have him set up in the sink for now since we’re going to the beach today’s our lat day before coming home!(

05/31/12  01:26pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268295

Hmmm. The underside really has me perplexed. Mike asked for a head on shot of the face and a close up, if you can get it, of the feet.

05/31/12  01:31pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268298

Forgot to ask you exactly where you live again! Which State, City, county, etc.

But we’re about 99% sure it’s freshwater.

05/31/12  01:35pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268302

I’ll get some close ups when we get back to the house. We live on PA but we are in the OBX in northcarolina this week on vacation bin sure he’s freshwater too. The only problem is this is an island and here are no pods or anything near us. Ya all saltwater! But he looks like he was just hatched to ad maybe was looking for water. It stormed yesterday. Me and joe think we should take him home haha. It may be his best chance for aurvival

05/31/12  01:52pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268308

As long as it’s not illegal, taking him home might be the best thing for him.

05/31/12  01:54pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268310

What is OBX?

05/31/12  01:54pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268311

Well I think we are gonna keep him we have a spare 55. The obx is the outer banks lol and this is the best pic I could get. He’s very fast lol

He’s def aquatic because he has tiny webbed toes

05/31/12  02:00pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268313

Any chance of getting a picture of the side of the face? One of the problems with identifying turtles is that different minerals in the water can make she shell look different.

05/31/12  02:11pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268314

Mike said it is definitely freshwater and should do fine in a 55 gallon if it’s set upright with a good UV bulb. Turtles do really well with Mercury Vapor bulbs. We keep going back and forth between North Carolina River Cooter or some sort of map turtle. Very possibly, it is a natural hybrid which would explain some of the features it has of both.

05/31/12  02:22pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268316

You know what, even definitely can be wrong. After more research, we can’t rule out diamondback terrapin.If so, that is a saltwater turtle with a freshwater shaped shell (and they do go into freshwater areas). If it is a diamondback terrapin it is probably protected and illegal so we need to figure this out right away.

Please get us a good side view of the face! The nose shape doesn’t look right for a DBT in those pictures but it could be the angle.

05/31/12  02:39pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268319

Ok after googling diamondback terrapin I am almost 98% sure that’s what it is. He has the same shell swirls and spots on his skin. Now idk what to do. He so cute and tiny and he was faaaar away from any water. What do you think Susan. If ya beat for him to be in the wild I will try to find a place suitable( I have no clue where though) but if he has a low chance of surviving I’m more then willing to give him a good home

05/31/12  05:03pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268333

Oh and I found out they are not illegal to own in pa.

05/31/12  05:08pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268334

If they are not illegal, then his best bet is to take him home. Mike said he has some info he might be able to copy and send to you. He said the trickiest part is getting the saline level just right.

05/31/12  06:29pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268340

Haha oh Susan. I’m a reef keeper. If there’s one thing I’m good at its getting salinity right. Just tell me what it needs to be and I’ll add salt til it’s rigt in my hydrometer. Is reef salt ok to use?

05/31/12  06:54pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268345

Oh! Well, then he’s in capable hands. Mike will look it up and get back to you. He’s chaperoning a middle school dance tonight, the kind soul.

05/31/12  08:08pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268352

Aw sounds fun. Something I couldn’t do lol I’ve been letting my niece get away with murder all week lol. I wanted to ask what’s the best thig to feed him too and also what’s the best way to transport him for the ride home tkmorrow

05/31/12  08:59pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268360

Can you transport him the way you have him now? Mike isn’t home yet. I know that they do go into freshwater too so as long as he is moist tomorrow he should be okay.

05/31/12  11:42pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2268370

oh, he’s so cute!!! i couldn’t leave him to the mercy of mother nature, either; she’s awfully neutral. research yourself half to death--that’s what i’m doing with penelope (who is doing wonderful still). don’t take anyone’s word for anything you haven’t investigated yourself. a lot of what i know about penelope i got from actually looking up how wild sulcata live and eat. i’d do the same with this little guy. he’s darling--just tugs at my heart!

jesse

05/31/12  11:52pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2268373

Well he’s on his way home with us to Pa. I just did what they did when they shipped Zinder. He has a wet paper towel in a live bait container we got at the local wildlife place lol. I am just worried about him getting an RI. At least it’s warm. I’ll update when we get home and get him settled in

06/01/12  03:28pm

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268430

Ive been reading about him since we left at 9 am.This drive is awful! And I’m thinking I will have him in straight freshwater. From what I’ve been reading they can do fine in it especially when started as a hatchling. What do you think? Also I’m worried about feeding him. He’s so tiny! I know it says they take bites instead of swollowig whole. But I still worry. If I notice he doesn’t seem to be Doing well in straight FW then I’ll add some salt gradually. I’m trying to keep my salt use down lol. That stuffs expensive! We pay $60 for 200 gallons worth of salt and that doesn’t last us long with our 120 gallon reef tank. And it really doesn’t help that I want to upgrade the reef to a 300 gallon lol. I use instant ocean brand. Would that work if I need to back his water brackish? What if I just put him in the fish tank lol. I do keep the salinity pretty high but I could lower it lol. And I don’t have any fish that would mess with him. Although I have a ton of power heads so there’s a somewhat strong current lol

06/01/12  06:53pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2268471

I know they can survive in fresh water but they don’t like it. I’d go with at least brackish. Pressed for time at the moment!

06/02/12  10:38am

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area