Horses Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lizard girl 4   CelticTigeress   Lizard girl 4  

Member  Message

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Learning to jump! Any tips?

I am leasing my first horse and am learning to jump. Any tips? The jump is barely 6 inches off the ground. My horse kind of jumps it sometimes but he usually doesn’t do it in a canter. I just am nerves to go higher. Would it help if I did? We have 80 lb hay-bales that we could put the pole on. I need tips to get my horse to jump and for me too. Just so you know I ride western. Thanks!

09/11/12  01:04pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Lizard girl 4   In reference to Message Id: 2279931

you need to train the horse to jump, I prefer cavaletties, to properly jump a horse needs confidance and balance... they have to build the trust with their rider and in themselves, lay poles on the ground and start slow by trotting him over.....dont start on jumps immediately let the horse gain its confidance

09/15/12  05:09pm

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2280435

We have had them for maybe a month now. We have been walking over long 2x4’s and walking and trotting over railroad ties. Our neighbor said that we probably shouldn’t jump them very high because they are getting old. We (my sister and I) wont be jumping for a while because our neighbor said that we should learn bareback really well first and since we ride western she said we need to learn to jump bareback. Thanks I might come asking for tips later.

09/15/12  07:11pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area