Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Horses Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

BeardyLover818   BeardyLover818   May92   BeardyLover818   May92   BeardyLover818   A.S.87  

Member  Message

BeardyLover818
View Profile

Long sloping Pasterns.

So my three year old mare has long sloping pasterns. Along with support boots and light work/ steady build up; is there anything that people know of that could help as a preventative. I know it is just a matter of when she will break down. I would just like to keep her as happy and healthy for as long as possible. Im not sure how to go about it other then keep to what the vet says. She gets her Professional choice support boots EVERY time she is worked. Also is on a joint supplement. Im unsure if a supplement will actually help this but its about the only thing I can think of other then boots. If anyone has had experince with this and would like to give me some ideas I would really appriciate it! Sorry if this is confusing my mind is running all over the place.

Also she is bareboof. Front and back. On good footing, real nice hard feet. Previous ownders kept her toes long and we are in the process of backing that up and rising the heal. Which is being run down because of the angle of the pasterns. I am not sure how to post a picture so if you could explain that to me I can put one up thank you!!

09/04/11  04:10pm

BeardyLover818
View Profile

Message To: BeardyLover818   In reference to Message Id: 2235651

Long sloping Pasterns.

This is it...

09/04/11  04:14pm

May92
View Profile

Message To: BeardyLover818   In reference to Message Id: 2235653

Long sloping Pasterns.

My one horse is the same way.

And yours really doesn’t look all that bad. I have seen way worse than that, and yes, they can break down.
Really what you are doing is best, the boots should help quite a bit. Did your vet also tell you that you shouldn’t go up and down a lot of hills with her, and that she should definitely NOT be jumped?
Horses with legs like that make good flatlander horses. Nice trail horses, not being used or pushed beyond the legs limits, and not carry a lot of excess weight either.

09/08/11  05:23pm

BeardyLover818
View Profile

Message To: May92   In reference to Message Id: 2236135

Long sloping Pasterns.

Oh yes; she will not be doing ANY jumping; when time permits she will hopfully be doing trails... Not a whole bunch real close so you usually have to trailer out. We work with small hills to build up the back end since it is sort of weak. Nothing big, we never push! I am thinking about ordering a pair of new boots I have found. Have you ever heard of them?

http://info.horsetrainingvideos.com/

They are called Iconoclast Support Boots.

09/20/11  09:10pm

May92
View Profile

Message To: BeardyLover818   In reference to Message Id: 2237720

Long sloping Pasterns.

Never heard of that brand before, but they do look really good.
I have a pair of Professionals Choice, they are ok, but not perfect. I would like something that comes down more. I really like these that you found. I may have to check into them.

09/21/11  12:10pm

BeardyLover818
View Profile

Message To: May92   In reference to Message Id: 2237770

Long sloping Pasterns.

Yes for sure look into them. We are going to have our vet check them out and when we do; I will be sure and put up another comment letting you know what he said! The pro choice dont fit well because of the pasterns. Not to mention lots of dirt get in there. But I agree, they’re ok

10/01/11  07:52pm

A.S.87
View Profile

Message To: BeardyLover818   In reference to Message Id: 2238886

Long sloping Pasterns.

Ok, I know this thread is a few months old but I just had to comment. We just went through some very expensive ($4,000) diagnosis/treatment of an unknown soundness issue with one of the mares at the barn. 8yr old AQHA mare that was lame for 3 months with very sloping pasterns. Found out her "hock" and "fetlock" problems were caused by improper trimming. She was sitting so low on her heels that all her bones in her leg were out of wack and that is what was causing her lameness. The vet recommened a 6 month "grow out" period where the farrier was to ONLY trim her toe. Nothing else. That would allow her heels to slowly build back up. It looks to *me* from the picture your horse is having the same issue. I am not a vet but after going through all this I have learned that not all "conformation faults" are actually due to the horse. Just some food for thought since I don’t know anything about what your situation is. I just figured if I could help anyone before they go through what I went through then I learned from my experiance.

03/23/12  08:30am

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area