Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Psyblaze16   Fairy Frog Mother   Psyblaze16   Fairy Frog Mother   Psyblaze16   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Is anyone still here? I have a question about english riding

Hey. If anyone on here rides english I have a question. So I have been riding western for a while now and one day I think I might like to learn a little english and jumping too. I will probably always be a western girl but I think it would be fun to take some english lessons and learn both. So if you are switching from western to english what kinds of things should I expect to change? Also if I ever had an english horse is it ok to only jump like once or twice a week? On small jumps only? (I dont have any horse now and am only taking lessons in western plasure but the having a horse of my own is just kinda wishful thinking of the far future on my part). Thank you!

11/29/10  05:21pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2190044

Its been pretty dead here.
I am a Novice when it comes to horses, so Id double check with others more knowledgable BUT

With English, you are more in contact with the horses mouth with the reining, and its body through your legs.

With respect to jumping, it is as with any sport for a human. You need to be in good physical shape- and it is good to take rest breaks in between, but its also good to stay in top condition. As long as you are doing other dressage to build the horses muscle and stamina I should think it would be alright. (and please someone correct me if Im wrong on that) Also might depend on if the horse is regularly turned out, in pasture or stalled.

Many good horses have been ruined due to being used as "Weekend Warriors"

12/01/10  07:29pm

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2190450

Awsome! Assuming I was riding english I would still work them just not always jumping. I think the term is on the flat. Is that right? Anyway the reason I asked that is I was thinking of a horse jumping and I just kinda thought jee thats a lot of weight coming down on those front legs. I thought maybe there legs would get strained if they were jumped too often. But I could be wrong! Thats why Im asking. :)

12/02/10  03:03pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2190580

Cross training is a good way for any mammal to keep in shape.

12/04/10  12:34am

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2190894

What do you mean by cross training? Like teaching a horse to do western and english? That would be cool. But can it be done? I always thought horses were trained english or western. But it could be possible. Im gonna go look that up now. :P

12/08/10  02:00pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2191633

By cross training I mean, some days do dressage, some Western, some english. Trail riding for fun- Its all excercise which conditions you and your horse to be in better physical condition.

12/14/10  03:18pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area