Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CelticTigeress   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CelticTigeress   JENOVA   CowgirlPatch   JENOVA  
 Member  Message

CelticTigeress
View Profile

My Turn to ask for help :-)

Alright, I am usually the vocal one with opinions BUT I need some of the mini owners here preferably a certain little Lady who drives her Mini’s advice..

the two I have now I plan to drive, I am currently building a Buckboard for the pair, and am going to order harnesses... I have a draft who DOES drive but I did not teach him I sent him.. this will be my FIRST experiance not only training Minis but training ANYTHING to drive.. any pointers? any good tips? good sites? any reccomendations for needed equipment??

Thanks ahead of time

04/17/10  05:36pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2141342

Well, where the harnesses and cart(s) are concerned, I bought my stuff from my coach and she had pretty fair prices. I will PM you with a link to the sale page of her site so you can see if you like anything.

I’ve been told to get leather harnesses because the Nylon harnesses, although durable tend to slip much more than leather. And also, if the horse gets extremely tangled at some point in training, the leather breaks while the nylon does not. We use all leather for safety. As an added bonus, it looks nice :)

I personally prefer the metal easy-entry carts over the wooden easy-entry carts. There are different opinions on this. Both are functional. I prefer the metal carts because they are more durable than wood carts. Also, two wheeled carts are safest for starting a green horse because they do not tip as easily as 4-wheeled carts.

I’m not sure if you planned on driving the two as a team, but if you are that will have to wait until they have many miles put on each of them individually before that can happen.

Basically when starting off a new mini we do lots and lots of desensitizing on the ground. We have a "water box" we walk them over. this is basically a wooden box with the inside painted blue. Sounds simple but can be very scary from them to cross lol. We also drag a sled next to and behind them while leading them around the arena. We’ll also kick a soccer ball or a "jolly ball" around their legs, walk them over a tarp, and walk them over a carpet square.
I was once working with a mini who would kick out when he was startled from behind, so to help him get over this one day in the arena I grabbed a pile of cones and started tossing them behind, in front, and to the sides of us until he didn’t spook anymore. It took quite a few sessions but he figured out that noises/movement behind him were nothing to spook at.

I’ve seen line-driving started two different ways. However, either way you do it you need to harness up first. make sure your hold-downs and breaching leathers are knotted so they can’t get caught. Also, be careful when putting on the crouper (the piece that goes under the tail) because sometimes they horses buck or kick out when they first feel it under their tail. Now you’re ready to start line-driving.
I’ve seen one girl at the barn start her horse line driving with a halter and two lead ropes. And I’ve seen people start right away with the bridle. However when we started off with the bridle there was a second person there, with a lead-rope clipped to the bridle to help guide the horse through the first time with the rein cues. Once you’ve got the horse understanding the bit, you can start with walking, circles, "ho", and "stand". After you’ve got the basics down with that you can add some trotting and trotting circles. Throughout the line-driving process we also did more of the desensitizing exercises. I would loop the rope for the sled on one of my fingers and line-drive around the arena. I would also line drive over the waterbox, the tarp, and the carpet. You can also line drive over some ground poles if they are available. I would also bang my whip on the wall of the indoor arena, as well as shuffle my feet and stomp my feet while line-driving. This helps them get to noises behind them when they can’t see (because of the blinders).

Remember, there is no rush to get on the cart. The more groundwork and line-driving you do the easier the transition to the cart will be. After the horse is good at line-driving you’re ready for the cart!
You will need a helper for this. After line-driving a bit to get any silliness out walk the horse up to the cart and put him/her between the shafts. while one of you keeps a hold of the horse bump him on either sides with the shafts to let him know they’re there. They sometimes spook and try to run at this, just be patient. Have you and your helper walk him around the arena, with YOU holding the cart (he should not be attached to it right away). If he is ok with this, you can try attaching the tugs to the cart, (your helper should, at this point not be pulling the cart for the horse, but just making sure it’s not coming up to bump his butt if he stops suddenly).
with your partner on cart duty, you can try line driving him around while partially attached to the cart. Once he is okay with this, you can try attaching the hold-downs and breaching. Keep your partner on standby in case something happens. Try line driving him around while attached to the cart. Make sure to have him turn with it so he knows how to push the shafts. (They sometimes spook, or are just plain reluctant when they need to push the shaft to turn.) Once you’ve line driven with the horse attached to the cart try getting in and driving around a bit. Do remember that once in the cart the horse may feel confined and be a bit more skittish than he was line-driving just from the feeling of not being able to escape. Just be patient and work through this. Continue with desensitizing with random noises (whip on the wall, shuffling feet in the cart, etc.)

Eventually once the horse is driving reliably in the cart you can start doing more challenging desensitizing things. I’ve gotten Mirage to take me and the cart over tarps and carpets. On top of making your horse braver, all of this helps your horse understand that he can trust you and you aren’t going to ask him to do anything that’s going to hurt him. this is especially helpful in those new and scary situations you will no doubt encounter.

As you know, every horse is different. Some are naturally more spooky than others.
The process will probably not go as quickly as I described. sometimes they need more work in a specific area. I tried to give you an overall view of the process, feel free to ask if you want me to elaborate on anything I’ve said

That’s pretty much all the advice I have. It’s certainly not the only way of doing it, and if you can find an easier way more power to you. Have fun with it and Good luck driving! :D

(P.S. I’m not a professional trainer, so it may be a good idea to find an experienced trainer in your area to call if you need some in person help with your horses.)

04/19/10  02:02am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2141662

My Thanks Jenova...I did favorite her sight I will be ordering my leather harnesses from her. truthfully I am not fond of the nylon or neoprene it is why my barrel and english saddles are not synthetic, I know pros and cons to each but I LOVE the smell of sweaty horse and leather... it is nostalgic to me.

I started long reining him I work a little each day but most time is spent with gentling. he is still a young colt, the mare I purchased is bred but only by 2 months. the two spend the evening in the stall with grooming, and introduction to desensitizing. they are stalled next to the aforementioned Filly. However Next week I am picking up *Squeals all girlish* My Medicine hat paint it has taken me a few years but I will FINALLY have him! and HE needs work...ah I love warm weather and up on my feet again the poor horses are shocked that they have to do something!

It is I never trained before but what your mentioning makes sense, so I will take my time... the only other person I know of that trains horses to drive, I will NOT send another animal to, I sent my draft.... and the guy A)did not want to return him B)claimed he was a biter and kicker.... C) he was THIN and had open sores, and I am not sure WHAT the guy did to him he FREAKS if he hears the sound of a chain, the only reason I sent my draft is because I was crippled and had NEVER trained to drive/pull before this guy was SUPPOSED to be a good trainer....nope better to ask on here :-)

04/23/10  02:08am

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2142750

I"m glad I could help out.

by the way, how old are the minis? You can start line driving when they’re young but you should wait until they are about 2.5 years before hitching them to a cart. It’s kind of like riding horses, you have to make sure they’re old enough and developed enough to handle the work. Driving however is not as hard on the horse as work under saddle so that’s why they can be started earlier. :)

04/25/10  02:03am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2143176

Napoleon is 8months old now, and Josephine is 3, I am going easy on her because she is bred... but even with my full size horses I use long reins and start the reining as ground training even when they are little (After halter breaking of course) But am going to try besides we are building the wagon so it will be awhile before it is built :-)

04/25/10  03:02pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2143277

Okeedokee. I would wait until Napoleon is 2.5 yrs before asking him to really pull anything. :)

Dang, your mare is only 3 and she’s already bred? That just seems so early lol. Was it accidental or planned do you know?

04/27/10  03:57pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2143765

honestly i know it was planned they threw her in with 2 mares and the stud and left her they bullied her from food and such she had never been touched except to have the halter thrown on and it was so dang tight it ruvved sores on her

04/28/10  12:40am

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2143887

awww poor little girl. Well she’s definitely in better hands. :)

04/28/10  12:48am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2143888

yeah she is a doll, I think I am totally addicted to Mini’s my greatdanes have no clue what to think of them. I get my new guy this weekend (a fullsize horse though) but he is untrained year and a half old... which means no bad habits but a LOT of patience

for her she gets tied daily and brushed, I haven’t clipped her HOWEVER she was so knotty under her fur it took me 2 hours to comb her out completely....now she realizes people are not so bad

04/28/10  02:00pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2144011

Oh wow. Those winter coats can get all matted if they’re not brushed out pretty often. We body-clipped our drill-team minis in March so I don’t have to worry about that till winter now.

The minis are fun horses! People don’t really understand till they get one lol

05/01/10  12:29am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2144572

well she had 3 years of no brushing....now she sees me and comes up expecting it Let me snap some photos and I will post here in a few...Im pretty damn sick...got Lyme disease, Im on an antibiotic but can’t keep anything down...so if it isnt clear by monday im going back to the Dr...oh they are fantastic soooooooo much personality in one little bundle of fur, I am going to try and clip them though, but all those knots I actually used a metal curry (which I never do) to try and loosen them

05/01/10  12:39pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2144642

picked up the new colt...am VERY disappointed...drove two and a half hours.. it doesn’t bother me he was never handled but was not what i expected...I will have to show you the photo I was sent and what he actually looks like, it’s disgusting....I tried to upload phoros of Napoleon and Josephine but the site isn’t letting me AArgh!!!

05/04/10  05:05pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2145332

That does suck. My aunt had that problem when she bought her horse Chip. Apparently they sent her a photo of what he looked like 2 years ago at Congress. The person just tossed him in a field and he lost a lot of weight. Skinny as a rail and lame. He’s gained probably close to 300 lbs and he’s getting better with the lameness now that he’s getting exercised.

I’m interested in seeing those photos of your new colt.

Anywho, I always just use photobucket to put my photos on here because they give you the direct link then you can just use the "image" button here while you’re writing the message.

05/11/10  02:39pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2146760

well after 3 tornadoes..... alright how do I do the photobucket bit? (this is what I get for depending on rz for uploads) He is pretty thin, COVERED in lice, and mangy...but is coming around as far as with socializing with me...but it is sad.. I expected much more then what he is, but he is learning to open up with me...

05/11/10  06:54pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2146827

ok. just go to www.photobucketdotcom (obviously you put a . where "dot" is ). Click on join now. Follow the steps on the screen.

ok so once you’ve got your account created and you’re logged in, then there should be a big green button that says "upload images and videos". You click on that, then upload what you want, and hit save. It pretty much guides you through it.

Once you’ve uploaded some pictures photobucket will automatically send you to your album. Roll your mouse across the picture you want and a little menu will pop up below it. One of the items on the menu will say "direct link". Click on the link to highlight it, then right click to copy it. You can now use that link to post your picture on the forums!!

Here’s how to do it

[ Image ] http://i217.photobucket. com/albums/cc192/rosenkrieger/Miragepaintingpic2.jpg [/ Image]

Just paste your link between the image commands! You won’t have all those spaces in there :)
When you post it will look like this but with your own picture:

05/14/10  01:10am

CowgirlPatch
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2147405

that is the cutest!!! i used to have three minis, and now i want another one!!! i love them they r great!

05/15/10  12:34pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: CowgirlPatch   In reference to Message Id: 2147702

lol they are really fun! Tiny horses with big personality :)

05/15/10  06:34pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area