Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

LeopardLover<3   CelticTigeress   LeopardLover<3   CelticTigeress  
 Member  Message

LeopardLover<3
View Profile

Lunging :)

Hi, I need some tips on lunging a horse like go, stop, come in, go faster, show the horse I am alfa. Also, any exercizes someone has so my horse will trust and respect me but not by using harsh methods, thanks

04/11/10  04:08pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: LeopardLover<3   In reference to Message Id: 2139847

first, it is Alpha not alfa :) Trust has to be earned but not through exercise, to trust you need to give a horse a reason to through patience and understanding. spending time with them is a great way to build the trust...sit with the feed bucket, talk and stroke the horse, exist in it’s life brush the horse...simply spend time with the horse so the horse comes to accept you as pack...exercises do not build trust they build respect, which is a completely different aspect..you are wanting the horse to see you as alpha which is the wrong way to approach the situation at hand..a horse can not respect someone that cannot respect them it is a give take relationship that is unique horses respond in three different mindsets fear, aggression, love... fear is done by the horse not having trust, either because of a lack of respect and understanding on your part, or perhaps an incident in the past the horse reflects back on, I do not care what people say they DO remember... aggression is when a horse sees you as a threat or someone else, they may pin ears offer to bite and kick or show the ultimate sign of disrespect...turning away from you...then there is love, when a horse accepts you into their herd...the horse works and strives to please you because they want YOU content not because they feel they HAVE to...does this make sense?

I would suggest before you consider working the horse in question you spend time bonding, every horse I train I spend time on the ground I do not rush, I show them I can be trusted, be it by simple touch a soft voice or quiet reading in the paddock where they graze, letting them come to me, this shows I am not a threat and you would be amazed at the reaction this kind of interaction can actually get...

when you do start if you have NO experiance (given by your spelling I am guessing you are young)I would advise an EXPERIANCED ADULT to supervise during the first few lunging sessions...lunging places you in close proximity and an improper lunging can cause a horse to fear the round pen, I have a QH mare that was proof of that....keep treats...I believe in positive reinforcement, you have to understand PATIENCE is a key here....the horse will not know what you want at first..this takes persistance and understanding on your part...I use body language as a main factor, start the horse in a walk state "Walk" and let the horse walk...then praise.....step in front and hold a hand out and state "Whoah" when the horse stops again praise the horse.....click your tongue again "Walk" then whoah repeat this for a 30 min session then reward the horse with a treat....walk the horse a bit sit with them do NOT feed immediately after, this prevents barn souring a horse

the next day you want to reiterate the prior lesson "Walk and woah" if the horse shows response you may move forward clicking your tongue and telling them "trot" or whatever you want the command to be...keep them at a trot...to make them go lift the whip straight out...when you go to bring them down to a walk lower the whip step forward hand out and repeat "Walk" giving a light tug on the line" if they walk praise them (I use a round pen myself) this lesson for 30 min you will do walk trot and whoah repeating and practicing...day three you want to work on them bringing them from a trot to a whoah and THIS will take patience...the moment they WHOAH when you ask from a trot you lower the whip reward them and yo utake them in this shows THAT is what you wanted....

the next day you reiterate the prior lessons...this time we are going to add them to come...this is when they show respect...this can take up to 2 hours..I worked one horse for 3 before they voluntarily approached and this is when the treats come in handy, I would like to add when I whoah a horse I like them to turn and face me....so when I bring one to a whoah while training I will use a line to turn their head lightly so they get the jest...you bring the horse to a whoah....tap your side and lightly tug the rope "Come" drawing them in...reward them....send them out repeat bring them in ONCE they come on their own take them in....i use a roundpen and prefer no line for this exercise and will keep a horse going until they come..I also work walk trot whoah for 2 weeks before going into a canter...once I have the respect And can turn and have my horse stand at my shoulder and follow without a lead is when I start with the cantering from there it is just repeating..

what I would suggest is having someone experianced show you the ropes, we each have our own methods and it is easier to show then explain, as I stated a round pen can make or break trust and respect... you want my advise?Patience perserverence and understanding....it takes time to build trust..moments to destroy it...that horse has to feel that they can trust you they have to see you as a partner because that is what it is..a partnership your on the back of a VERY large animal that can hurt you and they pick up on how you feel....just stick with it and keep someone with you

04/12/10  01:07am

LeopardLover<3
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2139961

I TOTALLY agree with all your methods and I never would use harsh methods ever I do fully believe in trust and respect and love animals dearly, I would like to do natural horsemanship too soon, and what are like the basics of lounging on a lounge line? like woah, come in, and canter (or lope)? Thanks

04/30/10  02:32am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: LeopardLover<3   In reference to Message Id: 2144390

I laid out the method I personally use, the biggest key is patience and repitition. to start them walking tell them "walk" with your whip angled down....if they do not then raise it slightly repeat the command....if they do not lightly tap them...if they walk you praise......if they start to trot draw the line towards with a light tug repeat the walk command....if they do not listen stance your body angle the whip in front "walk" keep repeating this....do this with each command....when I want them to come, I lower the whip to the ground....I pat my hip extend a hand and motion towards me "Come"then lightly tug the rope to get them coming to you when they do reward.... its not about pushing the horse so much as it is going with their level some will pick it up quicker then others, remember you want to work the horse until they show submission to you, this is where reading body language comes in handy...body is relaxed..are the ears forward or relaxed back angled to hear you?Is the horse licking its mouth or chewing??if the answer is yes...have the horse come in...reward.....then give 5 or so minutes before putting the horse up so they do not become barn sour NEVER place a horse in immediately and with food directly after exercise....

04/30/10  04:51pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area