Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Psyblaze16   CelticTigeress  
 Member  Message

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Im a little confused

Today I was out taking care of my friends horse. While I was cleaning his stall I turned him out in a paddock. When I went to get him he wouldn’t come. He just kept walking away. I wasn’t going directly towards him like a predator, I was going to him in kind of a circle and calling him, but he was being a brat. At one point when I got close he threw his head up and came trotting up very fast. (I think some would call this a charge but his ears were not pinned so im not sure). When he got so close I raised the lead rope like I was going to hit him and he turned and trotted past me. He had stopped and let me catch him after this. Everyone was telling me to hit him and yell at him but I didn’t want him to think he was being punished for being captured. After that I lunged him and didnt let him stop until his head was down and licking his lips. I had no problems after that, riding or on the ground. So I ask the more experienced equestreans what should be done in this situation,and what would you do? Thank you so much.

03/15/10  03:57pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2133054

Im a little confused

I don’t ever strike my horses unless they do one of two things bite...or kick out. you handled the situation beautifully and in the same manner I would have...yelling only aggrivates the situation I don’t ever raise my voice even when I have a horse I am riding that is acting out....calm is the best thing and you acted properly by lunging him until he showed the signs of submission.after I lunge I ALWAYS tap my hip and expect the horse to approach if they do not I lunge again then repeat...once they approach I reward them stroke their nose and turn tapping my hip to walk away and I do look for them to follow any direction I go...once they do the lesson is over I clip the lead and they are fed....this assures they see ME as the dominant and I have noticed it improves their catch behavior even now I can go out on my 45acres and walk up to any and halter and lead...but by lunging immediately after catching you did as I would..I just add a bit more in my roundpen routine to assure the point got across...

03/17/10  02:24pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area