Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Psyblaze16   JENOVA   Psyblaze16   CelticTigeress  
 Member  Message

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Please help with the trot

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on sitting a fast bumpy trot. Some have told me that its like posting forward and back but you dont leave the saddle, some have told me to move hips from side to side, and some have told me to relax and everything gets absorbed. I take lessons and really try but I cannot seem to get the hang of this. Also I ride for a college equestrean team as a beginner rider and I have to be able to sit the trot on any horse as the horses we ride are random.(and some have rough gaits). I ride western so I cannot post. Thank you in advance.

03/10/10  07:20pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2131789

My instructor always told me to "Separate the movement of your hips from your upper body"

So basically you want to relax your hips into it but keep your upper body stable so you don’t look like a wet noodle. It’s tough to explain the feeling of it.

03/10/10  11:53pm

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2131900

Ill try. Although its hard for me. Do you maybe have any exersises or some things I could practice that would really help me to stay in tha saddle? Thanks

03/11/10  04:28pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2132038

Sitting a trot without posting is by using your abdominals and thighs, you want to press your feet forward a bit and squeeze with your upper legs, then you want to ’go with the horse’ take a moment to feel the motions and rock your hips with it, that is the difference between western and english english you post against, western you go with....the trot is NOT by far the most comfortable gait it is why the plantation owners bred racking horses (gaited horses) ie TWH,Saddlebreds ect....

the best I can tell you is to work on your thigh muscles, and squeeze with your legs, lean back just enough keeping your hips pressed forward, extend your legs Good luck (sorry easier to teach then explain online) but if your having trouble sitting the trots you need to work on your upper legs, trotting western works different muscles then riding english

03/11/10  09:32pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area