Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Ammeratsu   Ammeratsu   JENOVA   Ammeratsu   JENOVA   Ammeratsu   Buddy&Konas   Ammeratsu   JENOVA  
 Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Yay!

My trainer called yesterday and said she wants us to house two of her horses for two months, so we got them today. In exchange for having them, she’s letting us bring our two horses, Espy and Tristen, down to her barn to train for a week at a time for free. Great deal.

Anyways, we trailered the two horses up today. One is a 20 year old gelding. He’s a pale palamino Icelandic horse(I LOVE Icelandic horses) named Creamsicle. Julie said that he’s kind of a weird horse. She says if you tie him to something, he’ll jump it. She said he can jump 4 feet, so we shouldn’t tie him to anything. Also, I’ve only ever seen him tolt and walk. But if he can jump 4 feet, surely he can canter? I mean, it’s not like you can walk away after jumping 4 feet. Julie wouldn’t tell us much about him, like how to get him to his other two gaits. Is there a specific way typically used to ask an Icelandic to tolt or do their other gait? I’ve never ridden him, but it seems like his trot is sort of replaced by his tolt. Also, I have another question. His tolt doesn’t look the same as most Icelandics that I’ve seen. He doesn’t lift his feet really high like that. He looks like he’s trotting, but the person doesn’t move on his back. I was also told that if he eats more than two flakes of hay a day, he’ll founder.

The other horse is a tiny mini horse crossed with some kind of pony. Her name is Whisper, and she’s so tiny. I don’t know her exact height, but I think she’s 10-11 hands. It’s funny, Julie was like, telling me how I can ride her. Haha. Somehow I don’t want to do that to her, and that would be so uncomfortable. She also somehow got REALLY fat. So I’m thinking I’ll lounge or turn her out every day to help work off that fat before she goes back to Julie. I was also told Whisper will tear my barn apart, as well as flood her stall with pee, if we enclose her in a stall. So we’re not going to, haha.

Pictures tomorrow.

And in case anyone’s wondering, I have SEVEN horses now. To think, I used to be the average suburban kid who never even thought she’d have one horse, and now I have seven. ^.^

01/13/10  12:43am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2113270

Yay!

Creamy

Whisper

01/13/10  08:29pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2113270

Yay!

That’s pretty cool. I’ve seen icelandic horses in action but have never gotten to ride one. taht should be fun! They’re both beautiful horses

oh, and about this:

Quote:

but I think she’s 10-11 hands. It’s funny, Julie was like, telling me how I can ride her.

10-11 hands would be about 38-42 inches (minis are measured in inches. However anything over 38 is considered a pony). I’m not going to pretend to know how much you weigh, but we have a lot of minis at the barn I’m at, all with pretty slim/slender owners (some are like 13 year old kids) and they don’t even ride the minis. I heard somewhere as a general rule that a horse can handle 20 percent of it’s body weight? So a mini is between 300-400 lbs so they could (depending on the horse) handle about 60-80 lbs.

A 42 inch pony could probably handle more than that (If I had to guess I’d say a horse that size would be closer to 450 or 500 so that would make the weight limit around 100lbs). And I"m sure a mini could deal with a little bit more than what I guessed depending on their size. However for the sake of the horse’s back we generally just don’t try it lol. They’re tough little things but I wouldn’t imagine their backs would last long if they were ridden often.

that does sound like a pretty good deal with her training two of your horses. Maybe she can get Esperanza to work a little more quietly for you during the winter time. :)

Hope you have fun with the two new additions!

01/14/10  01:08am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2113535

Yay!

Yeah, I’m not going to ride her. I weigh 110 pounds. Not only do I think I’m too heavy for her, but I don’t think I could handle her very well. xP I can’t imagine posting fast enough to meet her tiny stride, and I’m going to think she’s going so fast when she canters because her stride is so small. Plus, she’s taken off in almost every lesson I’ve seen her used. And that little pony can go FAST. It’s crazy how fast she goes. I think I would die on her. xDDD

I rode Creamy today and he is THE MOST stubborn, lazy horse I’ve ridden in a LONG time. I think he prefers to go bareback, because he behaves just a little better bareback. I was on him and her kept stopping at the gate and when I finally got him past he would turn around and go back to the gate, no matter how much leg and reins I used to turn him. Man, if he doesn’t want to go, he won’t. A slap on the butt, a kick, a squeeze, nothing worked. He apparently hasn’t been ridden in 6 months, so I guess it’s understandable. Once I got him going a little, he tolted around a bit for me. It’s too bad no one ever worked with his gaits. His tolt is very unorganized. It’s sort of a mix between a trot and a tolt, which makes it feel almost like he’s limping(he’s not). It was still a lot of fun, though, to be moving really fast but barely moving on his back.

And yeah, it’s a great deal. We had Espy down there last week, for the whole week. I went after school to ride. We turned her out, then my mom rode, then I rode. Every day we did this, and she has gotten better. The first day she was totally taking advantage of my unconfidence and doing whatever she wanted, but with the help with a trainer, she got better. By Saturday, she was so quiet. I took her to the big arena without ace(we’d been acing her) and rode her. I finally found out why she’s quick with me, but not my mom; I apparently hold my breath when I ride. My trainer made me talk to her the whole lesson, which made me breathe, and she slowed down and got really quiet. I was jumping her, cantering her, even improving her transitions(she lurches down into the canter instead of just picking it up). She felt like the Espy I knew during the summer again. But the snow’s too deep up here to do anything with her, so I guess I have to start over. I’m supposed to go to another schooling show in March. I’m not normally superstitious, but I’m actually kind of nervous because it’s at the same place where I had my first schooling show. My first schooling show was a disaster, seeing as Esperanza decided the krinkly bag I took was terrifying. She bucked me like, 10 feet in the air. I managed to do a perfect faceplant, which knocked me out(concussion), severed a nerve in my arm(that still hurts like crazy 8 months later), broke my collarbone, and screwed up a tendon in my hip. So, I guess we’ll just ace her and hope she doesn’t deicde to do anything stupid.

Sorry for rambling.

01/14/10  02:36am

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2113550

Yay!

I would try to show without the Ace. That is a very powerful anesthetic and it can be dangerous to ride a drugged horse. When an animal is aced they can get rather uncoordinated even on a low dose and it’s possible you could have an accident. I just want to make sure you’re safe. I’ve had a horse (not on any drugs) trip and fall at the canter with me on his back. He did a front flip and landed on his back. I’m very glad I lost my seat that day or I wouldn’t be posting lol.

Is there another one of your horses you could take to this schooling show? If you’re not comfortable taking her for your first one of the season you shouldn’t feel like you have to. If you feel nervous and are thinking about all the things that could go wrong, 9 times out of 10 something goes wrong.

Anyways, it sounds like the icelandic is a challenge. Do you ride with a crop? Sometimes just holding one is enough to get a little energy flowing lol. I used to lease a very lazy paint gelding and just hanging a crop on the saddle horn was usually enough to convince him to move out lol.

01/14/10  12:42pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2113628

Yay!

I know all about the ace, and there are a few horse I wouldn’t ride with ace(IE Tristen. He acts almost high, haha). But Espy’s very good on ace. She was uncoordinated when we gave her too much, but not any other times. We give her 1 cc sometimes, if she needs it, and she feels just like herself but a little calmer.

I had a horse, also not on any drugs, that slipped and fell on me. He didn’t do a front flip, just fell on his side... right on my leg. Ouch. I’ve been really afraid of horses falling on me every since.

The whole point of the schooling show is for me and Espy to get the experience. =/ I can’t take Tristen or Disney because I can’t handle Tristen’s jump(Espy has an only slightly round jump, and Tristen jumps about a foot too high and has the roundest jump I’ve seen on a horse) and I can’t take Disney because he’s not very sound right now(got his hocks injected, but is still having a lot of trouble).

I feel like I have to, because my trainer says in riding, you just have to do it. He says you can’t avoid doing things just because you’re afraid, because than you’ll never learn anything. I know what can go wrong, and believe me, I’m nervous about it. I’m not looking for a broken arm ONE week from getting my driver’s licsence. I know I could have done it with Espy in the summer, but she’s different now.

I didn’t have a crop at that moment, but I just slapped him where you would a crop with my hand. It didn’t effect him too much. Basically, he’ll tolt a little, then stop and turn around to go to the gate. If you use leg, he doesn’t care. If you pull the reins to steer him away, he’ll yank his head down so you either lose the reins or pull you down so you lose balance. I’m going to try again tomorrow.

I don’t know if I should use the crop, though. I don’t know exactly how old he is, but Julie said he was old. And she also said that he’s not 100% sound(TAKE NOTE, she makes a lot of things up. She said he foundered a few weeks ago, but our farrier came yesterday and said no way, he never foundered). I don’t want to push him if it hurts.

01/14/10  06:22pm

Buddy&Konas
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2113707

Yay!

PERSONALLY I would never ride a drugged horse, if you cant handle espy without ace then maybe she isnt the horse for you? I dont see the need to drug a horse so you can ride her?? I understand you are not feeling condifent with her maybe its time to look for another mount?

01/18/10  01:28pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Buddy&Konas   In reference to Message Id: 2114833

Yay!

No. I won’t give up again. Espy just needs help getting back into things. I gave up on my first horse, Henry, and I’m not going to give up on Espy too. I know she’s the horse for me. When I do have her under control, we’re the perfect team. In the summer, she’s perfect for me. Winter is just hard for her. If I hadn’t gotten hurt and given her a month break right before winter, things would be easier.

I’ve ridden her drugged plenty of times. She just needs it sometimes. She’s a young horse, and sometimes has way too much energy. I need to drug her so she doesn’t take off with me. I’m not experienced enough to prevent her from running away with me, or to stop her when she does. When my trainer helped me work with her a few weeks ago, she started to respect me better, and it was getting better. But I can’t ride her right now due to ice in the arena.

Esperanza is the right horse for me. I can tell that once we get in sync, she’ll be perfect for me. I’m just not confident because she’s a really powerful horse. I’m not afraid when any of my other horses buck or rear, but she’s the most powerful horse we have. I’m actually a pretty confident rider, and I want a horse that gives me trouble. I won’t learn anything if I have this horse that never bucks or runs or misbehaves.

The reason I want to ace her is more superstitious than anything. I’m not a superstitious person usually, but I think this schooling show will bring back uncomfortable memories of my last schooling show(where Espy threw me and broke my collarbone, severed a nerve, gave me a back injury, and caused me to pass out), and it will drain my confidence. If she’s aced, I’ll feel more comfortable, and therefor so will she.

It’s not like I’m drugging her with 4 cc. It’s a measly 1 cc for a 1600 pound animal.

01/19/10  12:44am

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2115066

Yay!

Where I’m at it’s illegal to do that in the show rings. They’ll kick you out of the arena if they figure it out.

Just say’n. I don’t know what the rules are by you. Do you lunge (however the heck you spell that) her before you ride? With some of the high strung horses where I work they put them on a lunge line, give them a minute to get all the silliness out (bucking, running, etc.) then make them walk, trot, and canter nicely before anyone even gets on.

01/23/10  11:14pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area