Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Ammeratsu   Karrie123   Ammeratsu   JENOVA   Fairy Frog Mother   Ammeratsu   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

It’s Cold Out! (Pics)

It’s really cold and snowing, so we put the blankets on our horses. Just thought I’d share some pics.

Ember:

Tristen:

Esperaza:

Legend:

Disney:

And just a picture of the snowy property:

12/05/09  04:10pm

Karrie123
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2101767

It’s Cold Out! (Pics)

Very cute. How is it going with Esperaza?

12/05/09  08:18pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Karrie123   In reference to Message Id: 2101855

It’s Cold Out! (Pics)

Thanks! I’m doing a little bit better with Espy, but not much. I’m still afraid of what she’ll do(especially since it’s so cold!), and my mom HAS to ride her before I do every time or else she’s way out of control. I’m doing my best with her, though.

Also, what do you thing about eventing vests/body protectors? Would it be a waste of money/stupid/not needed/retarded to get one for just every day riding over jumps and stuff?

12/06/09  10:50pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2102163

It’s Cold Out! (Pics)

If it would make you more confident then go for it. The energy you project is very important. If you would feel more confident and in control with protective gear I wouldn’t be worried about how you look riding in it.

12/07/09  12:35am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2102190

It’s Cold Out! (Pics)

I agree that if it makes you feel safer, you will project more of an air of confidence to your horse. Not to mention, protective gear is well...protective! If she is testing your limits and nerves, you need to be up to that task or she will think she can get away with it. Sounds like one very smart horse.

Dont know why Im thinking of this just now, but while I was in Holland 10 years ago, my best friend and I visited another friend of hers’ stable in Belgium. The barn and indoor arena were amazing. The place was clean and in amazing repair. They had brick floors that were cleaned and hosed off regularly. And there were a couple of large balls in the Arena the day I was there. A TB was turned loose in the Arena to "Play" and it kicked the ball around and played with its owner like a puppy. After it had about 15-20 minutes of "Play" the owner lunged it a bit, then rode it for some dressage practice. Being that there are fewer acres to turn the horses out in there, and the horses there are kept in Box Stalls, I thought this a very creative way, especially in super rainy weather, to keep a smart horses mind and body active and relaxed. I was told they have different "Toys" the horses can play with for enriching their environment. Was all very cool.

12/10/09  12:04pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2103328

It’s Cold Out! (Pics)

Thanks guys. I think I’ll try to get one for the holidays. Although it makes me feel a little weak to give in and buy a vest. I seem to have a problem with falling really awkwardly and squishing organs(I bruised my liver pretty recently from her) and I think the vest would provide enough cushion and support to stop me from smashing my insides! haha.

And she is smart. My instructor says she’s a good actor. She’ll pretend she’s tired to get out of work early, but I guess she has A LOT of stamina. What she likes to do is run around during a turnout, and then act like she’s dead tired 5 minutes later. When my mom gets on her, she’s really up. As she rides, Espy will get REALLY heavy on her forehand and start huffing and puffing, so my mom thinks she’s tired and has me get on, and she’s completely crazy again! Fooled us for a long time.

And that’s really cool with the toys. The only horse I have that would play with a toy/ball is Ember. We had some balls for minis lying around(the people before us left them), and I’ve seen her play with them. Sadly she popped them all. I’ve also seen her play with other things. That’s one mischevious horse. She actually tore up my down vest. She ran up to the arena(where it was hanging), grabbed it in her mouth, and raced off. When I finally caught up to her she had put her hoof on it and tore it in half by pulling up. But her favourite thing to do is so annoying. We’ll fill up the water trough so they can have water while they’re out of their stalls, and she’ll stand near it. When it’s full and we turn the water off, she’ll walk up, get a drink, and then start pawing all of the water out. Then, when she gets enough out, she’ll put her hoof on the side and put her weight on it, and it flips completely upside down. Haha. And she always steals our saddle pads if they’re hanging somewhere and we have to chase her down and take them from her. Very interesting pony. She also knows how to UNLOCK her stall. We actually have to tie the stall and lock it, because she knows exactly how to unlock it, open the door, and go to the hay storage to eat a bunch of hay. Very smart pony.

12/10/09  10:13pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2103489

It’s Cold Out! (Pics)

Its them smart ones that ya gotta watch out for. *winks*
Too funny on her pawing out the water. Guess it means she always gets fresh water. *grin* She sounds like a handful! Good luck through the winter and happy holidays!

12/14/09  09:36pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area