Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Psyblaze16   CelticTigeress   Psyblaze16   CelticTigeress   Psyblaze16  
 Member  Message

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Please help clear something up

I am currently taking care of my friends horse during the week while she is away at college and there is somthing I need to clear up. I do groundwork with him and he does well. When he does something I want I will pet him and tell him he is a good boy. The thing is after I praise him he will back up and put his nose on my shoulder. He is not pushing or biting just reasting it there. Ive asked a lot of people at the barn what this is supposed to mean and everyone tells me somthing diffrent. So can anyone here tell me what it means? Thank you

10/22/09  11:56pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2087734

I am not sure how your friends horse is trained. however when I work my horses I after I am done will turn and have them follow (i tap my hip as cue) mine rest their head to me when I turn my back because it is respectful acknowlesgement of me being the herd dominant... what you need to understand when a horse turns its back that is dismissal it is herd behavior like a mother scolding child..a horse pressing to your shouldwr is their way of saying ’i respect you’ in their language... this is a trait I pursue in any horse I work is that sign that hers is giving you

10/23/09  08:50pm

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2088031

Thank you I do appriciate your input. He does do it when I have my back turned now that I think of it. And he does follow me when I am done with groundwork and riding (without leads or reins). Thank you again and if there is anything you would like to add please do so.

10/23/09  09:57pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2088046

Nothing really to Add, Just if he is your friends horse ensure he is kept trained the way she does. There is nothing worse then a rider returning to have to retrain their Horse to their specifications! (It is why I have my Barrel Horse/Pony express Horse and Hunt Horse that Only -I- ride) well with the exception of right now, I only let my Dad ride but He showed world and one 2 yearsrunning he knows how they are and until I can ride again they need exercise everyone else is fair game except for a couple of new rescues that I am rehabbing... I let my Mother hop on my barrel horse ONCE and talk about *shakes her head*Thank God my Horses are patient!

encourage that behavior, the Horse is showing respect that is a GOOD sign!!!!

10/24/09  12:17pm

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2088193

Yes I know what you mean about training a horse diffrently. The owner knows everything I am doing and how I do it. She is fine with it and anything I decide to do diffrent I discuss with her first. Thanks

10/24/09  01:02pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area