Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Pippin_Took   Ammeratsu   CelticTigeress   Ammeratsu   CelticTigeress   Toadis  
 Member  Message

Pippin_Took
View Profile

Can’t Get Him To Canter

We got a new pony for schooling little kids, and I’m having trouble with him. He’s a 19 year old buckskin Chincoteague pony named Legend. I rode him today, and he was really good. I went over some small cross rails with him and there really weren’t any mishaps. I’m riding him just to give him some consistant work on the days he’s not schooling little kids.

Anyways, I’m having trouble getting him to canter. He just won’t do it. I ask him in the corners and do everything I’m supposed to, and he feels like he’s going to start, but just trots. Like, from a walk, he’ll do that little lurch into the canter and then just trot. I ask him when he’s trotting and he just trots faster.

Now, I know this could be a physical issue, but I don’t think it is. When I went over he crossrails with him, he cantered away and I turned the corner at a canter and cantered maybe 10 strides. But besides, that I can’t get him to canter.

He doesn’t seem like he has a problem cantering. I’ve seen him do it while in pasture.

Now, I’ve considered why I can’t get him to do it, and I’ve thougt of a few reasons.
1) He’s lazy
2) He’s been a schooling pony for little kids and never really gets to canter
3) He’s stubborn
4) Possibly physical, but it doesn’t seem like it

So what’s up with all this?

10/22/09  11:40pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Pippin_Took   In reference to Message Id: 2087728

Can’t Get Him To Canter

Sorry, wrong account. Pippin is my friend that came over. I guess he logged on without telling me.

10/22/09  11:43pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Cant Get Him To Canter

he’s a pony (sorry pony fanatics) every pony I have dealt with has been stubborn. schooling ponys learn to read their riders and canter when ready. I think he is just stubborn anyone else?

10/23/09  08:45pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2088030

Cant Get Him To Canter

I think you’re right. I rode him again today, and he cantered just fine. He cantered jumps, cantered on the flat, and seemed to enjoy it.

Good pony, though. Stubborn, definitley(not just with cantering), but he’s good. He’s got a really round jump, maintains speed without leg most of the time and almost never spooks.

10/23/09  09:08pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2088035

Cant Get Him To Canter

The first Pony I ever dealt with was a schooling pony named Blue. I used him for exercising and I ponied off him. Blue was great he could read his riders, would not take a jump unless he felt the proper shift of weight, and would not canter if he felt you off balance. but he was STUBBORN. I loved riding him I would use him on fox hunts every so often to keep him in practice when My Boy was down and out, he cantered great, had a nice round out to him, took jumps with a nice ease.... but he was a pony and like every other pony I have dealt with since, he had his days....and when he did NOT want to do something, you could be he was stubborn....

10/24/09  12:13pm

Toadis
View Profile

Can’t Get Him To Canter

Well ponies don’t really canter with you it’s much easier with a horse. Show the pony who’s boss

09/24/10  04:33pm

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area