Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Ammeratsu   CelticTigeress   Montessa_Python   Ammeratsu  
 Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Buckskin Pony with Blue Eyes?

So we’re getting this new pony. His name is legend, and he’s an old gelding. He’s a buckskin Chincoteague pony, and has a single white spot on his flank, and blue eyes. I thought only paints had blue eyes, and I didn’t even know it was possible for a buckskin to have blue eyes.

I was just curious on the matter

10/21/09  10:12pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2087234

I will gladly clear this up....

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when the Horses were on a spanish ship (Read Misty of Chincoteague one of my favorite books when I was growing up) but "Legend"has it when the spanish ship with mustangs sank off shor the surviving horses swam and made their wy on the isle. The Horses then through breeding and breding down and breeding with any other pony that was there, established their own breed.... These ponies are not set, they have everything from welsh,mustang,paint (Mind you at the time Paint was considered with Pinto a color not a breed, same as a bay a chestnut a gray ect) A lot of the ponies that are run through auction afer their swim are paint colored....so he likely has that breeding hence the blue eyes darlin’ they think that breeding occured with horses and such that people had turned loose or were part of crashes sinkings ect. Regardess like Mustangs the herd imbred through generation causing the smaller size. So you have stout lil ponies that range from paint/pinto to grays bays and sorrels (Or in your case a buckskin) I had a paint color when My dad took me for the annual running when I was 9 for the fireman carnival (If you have NEVER seen the ponies herded it is a MUST in your lifetime!!!) we bid on a couple and brought them home. a mare and foal pair Mare was a solid the filly came out paint.

10/24/09  12:26pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2088196

I am working with a shetland pony now, who is solid black with a bit of white on his head, some white socks..
One blue eye and one half blue eye.. You just know one parent was a pinto.
You can see horses and ponies with "watch" eyes all the time.. they have pinto/paint in em some where.

Carol

11/07/09  01:10am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2092880

Thanks for the responses. It makes more sense now.

11/08/09  02:08am

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area