Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Horses Forum

Ammeratsu   Ammeratsu   CelticTigeress   Ammeratsu   Ammeratsu  
 Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Debating How to Begin Training

I have a 3 year old welsh pony named Ember. She had no training when we first got her. I taught her to lunch and am now lunging her with tack(not in the last week, though, as I’ve contracted that nasty swine flu). My mom(been riding for 30 years) thinks she’s ready to carry a rider.
ll
But what’s the best way to start? I’m not experienced, but I feel like I know Ember better than anyone(since I taught her the lunge line and have done a lot of groundwork and just sitting in her stall and watching her and in pasture).

My mom wants me to lay across the saddle while she’s on the lungeline and just have her walk and maybe trot. I wouldn’t have a problem doing so, but I think this would scare her.
I want to just sit on her and have my mom lead her around the arena at a walk for the few times, and I want to do it bareback.

Ember had a bad experience with her last owner where she had a 9 year old kid get on and walk and trot and canter her with no prior training whatsoever. Needless to say, she ended up spinning around and bolting, which threw the kid off. But it scared her so bad, and she lost confidence for a while.

So based on this, where should we start with carrying a rider?

10/14/09  08:29pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2084014

Quote:

I taught her to lunch and am now lunging her with tack

LUNGE, not lunch. My bad. xDD

By the way, I ride English.

10/14/09  08:31pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2084015

Depends on the Horse

with a case like this and you not being experianced in breaking/training I would suggest first making sure your Mother is present at all sessions. Second I would start the lesson off lunging with tack... When I have a horse that I am not certain HOW they respond (I’ve been breaking for years) you have the cowboy wy which is hop on and let em buck (I dont do) or the gentle method...usually i do a slow introduction, I will take a burlap sack and fill it with sand and lay it over the saddle..... when the horse grows accostomed, I begin by having someone hold the horsend I lay on the back I ease......I do this several sessions before I actually sit on their back.....If I am certain the horse may buck I nbreak with a western and use a rope attached to the top of their halter looped around the saddle horn (Not tied I want a quick release JUST in case) a horse can crowhop this way but NOT buck they need the head own for the momentum.....then with my assistant once the horse accepts me on their back, I allow them to walk and adjust, from their the sessions change to lunging with rider...to truely gentlebreak you have to go slow and build the horses confidence...some horses progress quickerthen others.....my reccomendation with breaking is using a nice curb bit not a broke simply until your certain the horse will not run through the bit.....safe then sorry...breaking depends on individual horses Ive had to change my methods up periodically horse to horse, when I broke my Arabian, I introduced her to the saddle and was long reining her as a filly so by the time I eased on her back She knew her basics, My appaloosa it took me 6mths before I eased on his ack because of his situation he came from.... Neither of them bucked, but I have had several tht had and found using a rope that ties to the halter with a loop thats long enough they can extend their head not but drop it looped to the saddle horn prevents this....

and do NOT break in a round pen....it offers no space to the horse if it freakstosses you and tries to get away...this is personal experiance....do it on a lunge line or in an arena with a fence yes but not a small pen......you want the horse to be able to take off if your dropped on your butt

10/17/09  01:13am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 2084984

Thank you.

My mom changed her mind and decided something else. We injected her acepromazine, turned her on, and then worked her. We rely on ace a lot. After my mom got sick, and I got hurt(Broke my collarbone, severed a nerve in my arm, tore my bicep, and got a concussion after getting bucked off my mare) we had to get our horses working again. I tried just riding them in our new arena, and got bucked off all three of them, so we used ace for a few days, no bucking, and then tried without and it was fine.

Anyways, so we aced her, turned her out, and my mom supervised while I sat on her and just walked. We walked around the arena for a while, and the reaction was fine. She was perfectly calm and happy, so we’re going to do that again and trot her and then we’re going to try walking without ace a few times, and then try trotting without ace after a while. We’re just tryng to start her real easy.

10/21/09  10:19pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2087237

Quote:

We injected her acepromazine, turned her on, and

Turned her out, not on xDD I’m making such stupid typos

10/22/09  02:23am

Back to Horses Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area